Quantcast

Sump size...

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

zeltar

Proud new papa....
Hey all, I am to the point of getting my tank wet very soon. I would like to discuss how I get a sump that is the correct size that will handle my drain volume. I have looked at the calculators on RC and those dont give me answers that makes sense to me, so I will ask the experts here.

My tank has two 1.5" drains that will have dursos. I have an Iwaki 40rlt for my return (1" in/out). The head distance will be around 5' with one 90 or two 45's if I have the room in my overflow for the return. The tank (48x24x25) is a single overflow (12"x6") with a coast to coast.

Can someone do some calcs and see what my minimum sump size should be? I have a berlin style sump that I used on my 60 gallon running a CPR overflow and a little giant pump. It's dimensions are 36"L x 16"H x 13"W.

Let me know if you need any other information.

TIA.

big t

tankless
That sump you have now will work IMO, if you start having bubble problems a great way to get rid of them is a filter sock. I personally like to use about as big a sump as I can squeeze under my stand. FWIW, I use a iwaki rltx30 that supposedly has 950 @ 4ft of head on my 90g tank. I use just 1 1.5 drain w/ a durso into the sump that is 36x18x18 and handles it very well.

zeltar

Proud new papa....
Did you use a 1.5" bulkhead on you drain? If so, what size PVC fittings will thread directly to the BH?
Thanks.

big t said:
That sump you have now will work IMO, if you start having bubble problems a great way to get rid of them is a filter sock. I personally like to use about as big a sump as I can squeeze under my stand. FWIW, I use a iwaki rltx30 that supposedly has 950 @ 4ft of head on my 90g tank. I use just 1 1.5 drain w/ a durso into the sump that is 36x18x18 and handles it very well.

big t

tankless
Yes I have a 1.5" sch 80 bulkhead for the drain. It is slip on the inside and thread on the outside. So I just slipped a 1.5" pvc pipe into it on the inside of the overflow, and then on the outside I used a male 1.5 thread to female adapter, and then pvc pipe from there

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.