Quantcast

Sump

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

MonthOLDpickle

Black Sun
1'11" wide, 6 1/2" tall, and 11" deep (most likely less) is where I can only fit a sump. YEah its going to be small..any suggestions on what tank I can get thats that small? And gear and such? Its better to have something and not nothing. Oh and does anybody have a spare skimmer I can purchase off of them? I put this in equipemnt section but personally the general forum gets more attention. Thank You.

-Andee

iamjosh

Look at all the rubber maid stuff, sometimes those cheap plastic contaiers are a quick/cheap/easy solution. Also you can cut them if they're too tall.

Might try a trashcan like under the desk style..

-josh

iamjosh

As for skimmer you might try a Do it yourself plan if you can't spring for a new one.. I'll have one forsale in under a month.

MonthOLDpickle

Black Sun
Good Idea!!! Just need the pumps and more lr and such and such, what else should I put in the hand made sump? ANd how much will you sell the do it yourself skimmer?

-Thank You!
Andee

dnjan

alveopora
6-1/2" tall sounds like a kitchen dishpan. Check the kitchen section of Fred meyer or someplace like that.

The problem will be (if you use a submersable pump) to keep the pump submerged so it doesn't suck air, while still having enough reserve volume for the excess overflow when the return pump is off. Are you sure you can't find room for more than 6-1/2" high?

Just looking at the numbers - A 55-gal is about 48x18 in area, correct? Assuming you find a sump to completely fill the 23"x11" area you have available, a one inch drop in tank water level (due to shutting the return pump off, etc.) translates to about a 3-1/2" increase in water level in your sump. So your sump would be only 3" deep normally. (assuming everything is perfect!)

Are you really sure you can't find room for more than 6-1/2" high?

Last edited:

jasontatro

Wiseguy
I was thinking the same thing Don. The height is going to really limit if not do away with completely your ability to use a skimmer. I dont think I have ever seen a 6.5" skimmer. YOu might want to consider a H.O.B. model like a BakPak or Remora.

iamjosh

The Skimmer I have is a Remora and its only been used a month, not sure what the price will be, I'm waiting on figuring out / juggling equipment and what not while I work @ getting my new 150 setup :)

I'll let you know.

-josh

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts