Quantcast

tank cycling

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

rod

i live on an acerage in the yukon wilderness
i have a 72 gal saltwater tank,60lb live rock,skimmer,cannister filter and three powerheads.i am using 6 damsels to cycle the tank.it has been a month now with no noticable rise in ammonia.how long should it take for my tank to cycle or am i being too impatient.i have read it can take as long as two months to cycle....is this right??

NaH2O

Was the live rock already cured? BTW - welcome to Reef Frontiers, in case I haven't welcomed you yet!

rod

tank cycle

yes the rock was cured.does that make a difference in cycle time??the owner of the local fish store said it may already have cycled.i have been testing daily but no noticible in ammonia. any advice is greatly appreciated as i would like to add a couple of new fish but am scared to if the tank has not cycled.

NaH2O

Adding cured rock will definately shorten the cycle time. They already have the necessary bacterial populations to reduce the ammonia you are looking for. Also, they have already gone through the big "die off" that occurs when rock is curing....however, if you have cured rock out of the water for a very long time period, you might see some die off that would create a mini-cycle. Remember when you add new fish to do it slowly, so the bacteria have a chance to catch up with the new bioload.

Are you testing for nitrites and nitrates, too?

rod

yes,all the damsels are alive and doing well,active,feeding,also have a coral banded shrimp that my son brought home.the shrimp has molted twice and is also active and feeding.had a few hermits and three died but the rest are doing well and none have died for the last week.yes i am testing for nitrites and nitrates and they are all in the safe zone.thank you for the replies.

plumber_bob

I was just reading an article that you can actually cycle your tank with no fish and some pure ammonia. They put X amount of Pure ammonia into the system until it spikes. Then they just wait for the beneficial bacteria to build up and fight off the ammonia. Very interesting. Has anyone else heard about this?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts