Quantcast

Tank design

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

cookiemn

Chicago bound!!!
I am looking at having a custom tank built. The tank will be an acrylic 90 gallon (48x18x24) with a cost to coast overflow, with the main overflow in the middle. Below is the picture of the proposed tank. I plan to have a single 1 inch pipe to feed the sump underneath. The return will consist of two 3/4 inch returns. Each return will supply two directional return pipes into the tank on either side of the main overflow. On each side of the main overflow will have a directional return pipe at the bottom of the main overflow and at the top. I plan to have a 30+ gallon sump with a single 1200 gph submersible pump to supply the return pipes. I plan to keep soft corals, but I want to keep the option open to keep hard corals and possibly clams in the future.

I am wondering if this plan makes sense. If not, what would you change.

Erwin

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Erwin the 1 inch drain line will not handle that much pump from the return or at least it will be really close. you want some kind of buffer in thier. As in more drain line then pump in case something goes wrong. Also running 1200 gph through a 30 gallon sump might make it hard to get rid of the bubble caused by the drain flow. What you might want to concider would be a smaller return pump and maybe find more flow from something else, like a closed loop or PH's .

Mike

cookiemn

Chicago bound!!!
Thanks Mojo. It sounds like you asre saying that I should get a larer drain line, possibly a 1.25 inch drain. I definitely want to get a larger sump. Do you think that a 40 gallon would suffice. I plan to have 4 maxi-jets attached to a wavemaker in the tank as well for more flow. How big of a pump would you recommend that I use?

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Erwin returning the water to the tank is not a big one, most folks just get it back at what ever rate, then they use some form of equipment (CL, PH, and so on) to create flow needed in the tank. So I would say for your tank go with a smaller pump for the return (that way your sump is good enough) and then find another method to create more flow in the tank.

Mike

cookiemn

Chicago bound!!!
Mike,
what size return pump would you suggest. I thought that the return pump should be big enough to handle the flow of water coming down the overflow.

Erwin

big t

tankless
Erwin,

It does not matter if you pump can 'handle' the amount of water coming down the overflow. Your overflow can only drain as fast as the water gets pumped up there, and no matter what your water level will be the same in the tank, unless your overflow can not handle the amount of water being pumped to it, then it will rise and dump out on the floor. So idealy your drains will be able to drain more water then your pump could ever pump, avoiding a flood.

DonW

R.I.P.
I have two one inch drains and two 1" reduced to 3/4 w/loc-line returns. None of which has any serious bends. Connected to two gen-x 6000 pumps submersed in a 20g sump.
The flow is great and the drains actuall have to be throttled down.

Don

cookiemn

Chicago bound!!!
Tom,
Thanks for the input. I have two questions:
1) How big of a return pump should I be looking at?
2) Should I rely on one return pump to supply water to the two return pipes or should I have to seperate pumps
3) If the return pump fails, do I have to worry about the return pipes ascting as a siphon since they are connected to return pipes that protrude into the tank?

Thanks

big t

tankless
Yes Erwin, your pump line will definately back siphon, so there are a couple things to do about this, you can have it dispense near the very top of the water colum right under the waters surface, and it will have minimal backsiphon. If for some reason you do not want the output right under the water surface, you should have the plumbing enter the tank from the top (not thru a bulkhead onthe back) and drill a small hole near the surface of the water. This will allow air to break the backsiphon when the pump is not running.

I don't think it in necessary to run 2 pumps, but it is advised to have a spare pump on hand in case of failure.

In your case I can recommend the pump that I am going to run which is a iwaki wmd-rltx 30, which is close to 1000gph at 4 ft of head

cookiemn

Chicago bound!!!
Cool. How much below the water line should the return be? I noticed that the Iwaki you mentioned was an external pump. To save space I was thinking of getting a submersible pump. Which one would you recommend? I was thinking of getting a Mag or a Rainbow Quiet One pump.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.