Quantcast

Tank husbandry questions

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

4DTEK

Hello everyone! I would like to know how often people blow off there LR to clean the detrius off? Then once it is in the water column does a skimmer remove all the particles, or should you run some sort of mechanical filteration? I came back from a vacation to find a nice algea bloom (bryopsis I think) covering my LR. To be honest the tank has been up for about year and I perform water changes about 25% every 4 weeks, but have not blown off my LR. I think by this time there is plenty of Phosphates to fuel this algea growth. This is my first salt attempt. Don't be to hard on me. :oops:

NaH2O

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

No worries - we've all had something to deal with in our tanks at one time or another, no reason to be hard on ya. I try and blow the rocks off daily (I'm battling hair algae). It seems to help. If you are getting a lot of detritus, you can always try using a filter sock on the drain lines to the sump. That will help catch some of the junk. The skimmer should take care of some of it, too, then with water changes you can siphon up the rest. Bryopsis can be a tough one, but maybe by stepping up your water changes, using RO/DI water, go easy on feedings, and blasting the detritus off the rocks, you might be able to get ahead of it. Tell us about your set-up....tank, equipment, inhabitants, etc. What are your water parameters? (i.e. Specific Gravity = ?, Nitrates = ?, Phosphates = ?, etc.).

4DTEK

NaH20, thanks for the reply. The setup is a 150 gal mixed reef with a 75 gal sump/fuge. The inhabitants list is 2 tangs, two clownfish,five chromis,a mandarin,a royal gramma, and a bangai cardinal. Non-gilled are as follows, 2 clams,some ricordia,some shrooms,a hammer coral, and 3 acro colonies. The system is skimmed with an AquaC ev-240. Water parmeters are...
SG 1.025
ph 8.0-8.2
Ca 500
Mg 1400
Nitrates 10-25.... surprised? :rolleyes:
Phosphates undectable , but read that P usually sinks into rocks/sandbeds, and is not free floating in the water column, is that correct?

NaH20, I see your from Indy, ever go to IRP?

Thanks!

NaH2O

Are you using RO/DI water? That may also contribute to the elevated nitrates. As far as the P goes - it will be in the water column if everything else that binds it is full. So, if your algae is using it to grow, you may not see the inorganic phosphates in the water column. A trick some use is to take a water sample from inside the rocks near the algae, and/or create a divot in the substrate get a water sample, and test those water for P. If you get a reading then you know where the source is. What is your Alk?

NaH20, I see your from Indy, ever go to IRP?
Yes - we raced midgets there many years ago. My other half is an engineer that worked in auto racing, so I've been to a few race tracks within driving distance such as Cleveland and Chicago. It was neat to meet a lot of the guys from different forms of auto racing.

4DTEK

NaH2O said:
Yes - we raced midgets there many years ago. My other half is an engineer that worked in auto racing, so I've been to a few race tracks within driving distance such as Cleveland and Chicago. It was neat to meet a lot of the guys from different forms of auto racing.

Kewl, we used to go there for US Nationals.
As far as alk, usually 9-12. I am using RO, not DI though. TDS is 48, but there are about 2ppm of NO3. I just bought a RO/DI unit and hope to have it going in about a week. I will try taking a water sample as mentioned.

Thanks

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
I only blow off my rocks every few weeks, when I do I put a sock as Nikki mentioned in to catch the lions share, I keep the sock in for about 2 days. If you havent ever blown off your rocks you might want to do it a different way so as to not cloud out your tank. What I would do is to see if you can borrow a canister filter and then take an are blow it off and let the canister filter suck up as much as you can get, just keep doing that until you do the tank. Then go back and give them a good hard blow and let the stuff go into the water column and out of the tank.

From thier every couple of weeks should be fine.

Mike

4DTEK

I have an Ocean Clear canister filter that I could get cleaned up and drop a mag7 in the tank ,blow it all off & let'er run for a few days.

bc_slc

do you put the sock on the overflow end of the drain, like around the durso, or on the other end where it empties into the sump?

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
4DTEK for the first time I wouldnt just do a blow and go, I would go rock by rock. Give it a little blow and the suck up the material with the ocean clear. After the first time you could do the other way though.

bc slc you put the sock at the drain pipe in the sump

Mike

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts