Quantcast

Tank is doing good in my absence

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

big t

tankless
Hey Guys, as a lot of you know I am deployed to Germany, and have 67 days left, woohoo! I am 29 days into it right now, and things are going great so far. My wonderful wife has taken on the task of tank maintenance and feeding, and Esmith stepped up to help me out when my wife isn't quite up to the job. So far she has done a 30g water change and vaccumed up detritus off the BB, as well as daily feedings. I am really happy with the way things are going and I have seen a lot of growth and coloring up in the last month from what I can see in these pics. My wife has been nice enought to fit taking pictures of my tank for me into her busy schedule :D

Here are a couple pics :)

DisturbedReefer

Lionless :(
Wow, your tank is looking great! Wish my wife would work on my tank, she will only look but not touch. In her defense however I must say I only have lionfish :badgrin: Your acros are looking gorgeous :exclaim: Very nice!!

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
Very Nice Big T, I like the coral glued on the overflow. I heard of people doing that. It looks fantastic. It looks like a nice place with constant flow and good lighting. Your a lucky man with a woman like that. I wish you fun in Germany. I want to see another pix of you with a frosty Mug and a grin. That was a cool pix.
take care,
Ed

big t

tankless
You Guys are right! I am a very lucky guy :D Thanks for the kind words. I will see what I can do about the frost mug pic hehe, I need to go back to Munich, that is a great town, and where the other frosty mug pic was from!

Alice

Wow, tank looks good. You've been gone a month already?? Where does the time go? Stay safe and thanks for helping to keep us safe, Tom. :)

big t

tankless
Is there any good ones that you can recommend reed? I havn't found any german beer that I really like, except for the hofbrauhaus origional.

dnjan

alveopora
Where are you stationed (always best to drink local, when possible!)

By the bottle, this is a great time of year to try a Kostritzer Schwartze. A dark beer that goes down like a lager. They have pretty good distribution throughout Germany.

reedman

I guess it really depends on your tastes. I got used to room temp beer when I was there and didn't have much of a comparison base (I was a bit young at the time). That and I am the same person that likes Guiness Stout...so, my tastes are usally a bit different than most in the US. Stick with the ones out of Bavaria...they tend to have less of a bitter taste to them.

big t

tankless
Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Dnjan, I am stationed at Rheinmain AB just south of Frankfurt. I will look for the Kostritzer Schwartze. I have had a couple bottles of Das Schwartze, and that was really good!

Reed, I LOVE Guiness. I honestly have trouble passin it up anwhere I am in Europe. I is just soo good over here :D

reedman

Well, if you can get Guiness, why bother with anything else. I mean, you get all your daily vitamins and minerals and it tastes good too. Gift from the Gods.

big t

tankless
Guiness is good for you. Yes Reed I actually have a hard passing up Guiness to try anything else. I can't drink it from the can or bottle. It just isn't the same so when I get a chance to get good fresh Guiness how can you pass that? Did I tell you that I went to the Guiness brewery in Dublin last year? That was great, the highlight of my trip to England that is fer sure!

dnjan

alveopora
The big problem with drinking guiness in Europe is that it just never seems to taste as good when you get back to the states.

Don't know if you will be able to find a Kostritzer "pub" as far west as you are - the original Kostritzer brewery is in former East Germany. However, you should be able to find it in bottles.
The Kostritzer logo is a big red K on a black background (or is it black K on a red background? I'll have to go back and research that!). Something to look for when you are wandering the streets looking for someplace to have a beer.

big t

tankless
Hey Don, the big problem is that they only brew Guiness in Dublin (If I remember right they said that they brought all the outside brewing back to Dublin.) So by the time it gets to the pub in the states it is not 'fresh' and just doesn't taste good :( I still drink it tho.

One beer that I like now is Pauliner Dunkel MMmmm. I am going beer shoping on Thursday, I am going to get a crate and fill it with lots of different kinds of beer, from the beer store.

reedman

The real problem with Guiness in the states is finding someone with a dedicated refrigerator and tap for it. It is served at a warmer temperature than american beers and doesn't pour or taste as good when kept and poured at our normal temps. If you find a real Irish pub in the US they will have a separate refrigeration for the Guiness and will proudly tell you about it.

big t

tankless
Hey Reed! Did you know that Guiness Extra Cold is becoming very popular in England? I don't know if it is any different besides it is cold like in the 30's. Most places that I have had guiness at over here its been pretty dang cold tho.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.