Quantcast

Tank Update

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

deadrose

So, my little tank is coming along pretty nicely. Pods everywhere. Macroalgae growing happily. Fanworms, coralline, all the happy stuff. Parameters are staying pleasantly stable. Over the past 2 weekends I've added the cleanup crew, first 3 trochus snails from Aquarium Paradise in Lakewood, then an assortment of snails, some scarlet hermits, and an emerald crab from Blue Sierra. Lost one snail, everyone else is happy and gleefully feasting their way through the tank.

I figure it's time to start finalizing my plans for the rest of the livestock. I still haven't made any major decisions on corals, other than no acros yet, and nothing with big sweepers. I have a 175 MH pendant over the tank, and will be wiring up an actinic bulb shortly (or should I do an actinic *and* a daylight?)Suggestions welcome on corals and/or lighting :)

I've narrowed the fish field down to a few: my kids, of course, want a clownfish (and I'm not averse to the little rascals either). I'm rather fond of green chromis, but unsure if I could put in 2 or more of them to keep them happy. I'd like to have a sailfin blenny. finally, I'm undecided whether it would be better to have a cleaner shrimp or a neon goby. Seems like too many fish for such a small tank tho (25 w/6g sump). I hope to add more sump/fuge space shortly, though.

Of course, if I win a clam, all bets are off. IIRC, clams need more mature tanks? Should i think about arranging a clam-sitter until my tank is a bit older?

Trolling for advice,
Heidi

G~

Super Gobie
no acros, do you still want "SPS" or just "LPS". hard to pick corals for you without being you. :) most of the LPS have some pretty nasty sweepers at night. i would suggest looking at a coral book to get some ideas on what you like.

for the lighting i would suggest a 10K MH bulb and a couple of actinics for supplementation.

as for the fish i would go with the clown, the sailfing blenny, and one of the other two. i would prolly lean towards the cleaner shrimp. neon's are somewhat short lived and may be lost in the tank. cleaner shrimp are fun to look for and add a different physical shape to the tank. i would add the blenny first. depending on the clown it could become a bully in the tank. remember clowns are damels in clown suite.

G~

deadrose

Ehh, I definitely posted too early in the morning :)

I intended to say no SPS, not just acros :). As far as LPS, well, my sweetie hopes I'll get a brain coral, but that's got pretty big sweepers, doesn't it? My kids have requested a candy cane, as they're entranced by the skeleton that came in with the live rock.

Mostly I'm figuring to go with softies.

Heidi

SlowBoat

If you are looking for some freebies I have some Capnella and Anthellia frags available. They are softies and are growing like weeds in my tank.

There are several types of "Open Brain" corals, most have very short sweepers. My favorites are commonly referred to as "Closed Open Brain" or Favites.

deadrose

Slowboat: that would be great!

I don't know when I can get them... I won't be at the meeting this weekend due to a previous commitment, and my month is all kinds of busy. Let's discuss options?

Heidi

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts