Quantcast

Tap Water

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Sealab2021

Puffer
anyone else use it?

persoanlly I live in tukwila and get my tap from the CEDAR water source, and get their water chemistry reports and their water seems perfect for saltwater (well minus the 7.8ph and no salt) and have had no probs for the 3 years of doing salt with my tap.

OnTheReef

:? Yeah, I'll fess up. I treat it first with a series of 3 Culligan filters (100u particulate, 40u activated carbon and 20u activated carbon) and then with a Pur filter. I used conditioner and tap water at the very first, but things did not do well in it at all. I am currently in search of a high-quality, low-maintenance RO/DI system which will not instaneously clog when exposed to my ultra-hard tap water. Suggestions welcome. :)

Doug1

Whats the source of the waters hardness, calcium? I always found having to strip everything from water to eliminate trace amounts of nasties then spend lots to re add calcium and whatnot one of reefings great paradoxes :(

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
Whats the source of the waters hardness, calcium? I always found having to strip everything from water to eliminate trace amounts of nasties then spend lots to re add calcium and whatnot one of reefings great paradoxes
Except that in Seattle especially the water has such a high TDS of other metals and minerals that you'd be wise to strip them out prior to using it as you don't know what is in there, especially iron and possibily copper. Most of it is harmless IMO but is fuel for algae. In some parts of Seattle the water is almost hearty enough to be a meal.

Or a total reverse is the Alderwood Water District's water, it has a very low TDS, hardly any alkalinity but a pH of 8.4-9. The only thing left in the water is a bit of nitrate, phosphate, and added chlorine/flouride. If it wasn't for the additives and phosphate I think it would actually be suitable water. I think it is suitable for a fish-only system. I've had no algae problems or mortality issues using this water for FO for years. But in a heavily stocked tank it contributes to the algae.

IMO the only reason to use stripped down water as your top-off is to avoid excessive algae growth.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts