The End?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Kurt_Nelson

Now that I've posted my opinion, looks like all the "alert" and "subscribe me to daily..." settings were just reset to send out notifications if someone even hiccups here. I know those weren't turned on before. If this is something the admins pushed out, that's not helping your case to bring folks back. I consider that spam if I didn't sign up for it.

SirReal63

Now that I've posted my opinion, looks like all the "alert" and "subscribe me to daily..." settings were just reset to send out notifications if someone even hiccups here. I know those weren't turned on before. If this is something the admins pushed out, that's not helping your case to bring folks back. I consider that spam if I didn't sign up for it.
Agreed 110%, I will only delete things for a couple of days before I either sent everything from a website to Junk or I block them.

Frankie

I’m not having that problem. The only notifications I’m getting are from this thread

spieszak

Administrator
I thought this forum had died and was no longer around and it became the FB page Pacific Northwest Saltwater Aquarists. Did it not actually go away or are you trying to revive it? Personally I prefer the forum format to Facebook to find information so would love to see Reef Frontiers back in action. It was always a welcoming forum with good information and didn’t have the infomercial feel of reef2reef which seemed to be to be more about the sponsors.
It never went away, locals refused to use it.

spieszak

Administrator
forums in general are dying.
I gave my input the site was transferred. It was too much trouble then to buy an add or two, or post on facebook. I don't know why folks think they can have success without effort. Forums in general RELY on content providers. If you want traffic, you have to provide content. You can't just glide and hope others will do that for you for free, not when you have no traffic to start out with. I can't say investing in the site will bring anyone back, but leaving it sit and doing nothing sure hasn't helped.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member

Click on that link and change the settings to which alerts you wish to get, and if you wish for them to email a notification to you.

Kurt_Nelson

Click on that link and change the settings to which alerts you wish to get, and if you wish for them to email a notification to you.
Yes, thank you. I did that before I posted my comment, which is how I know I did *not* originally have all those things checked that were checked.

I think niche forums like this really have a purpose, it's a great repository of information, but their existence really depends on what the owners want out of them.

I was heavily involved in another small-time saltwater forum before I started frequenting here more. (And yeah... by my post count, you could argue I never did much here.) Long story short, that forum was started as a hobby, grew, and was dieing a slow death because it wasn't the "cool" saltwater forum... even though it was probably more helpful. It really got bad when a virus was being served through one of the ads, it was identified and the owners were told how to remedy it, yet they did nothing. After many weeks they finally got rid of it... along with many users. At the same time, the forum was sold off to a group that had a "portfolio" of other niche forums.

The original owner wasn't really in it to make money, it was just a hobby that used ad revenue to keep it from being a money hole. The new owners pretty much turned it into 'pay to play', where you had to 'donate' to keep the most obnoxious ads from bugging you. I logged in there a while back, just for giggles, and it's deader than dead.

Unless you own a portfolio of forums, and can make a case to advertisers that you can get to their targeted audience, there's no money to be made in forums. Advertising can be so micro-targeted anymore on other platforms, the ad revenue has just gone away.

So for the most part, individual forums become a hobby... just like our tanks. What you get out of it is dependent on what you put into it. 'Make it and they will come' only really works in that movie.

psa

Shark Bait
Something's definitely wrong with the sort function. The 2021 threads are buried under a lot of older threads. That alone will kill a forum because it really looks like there's no community and no current content.

Frankly, there's only two things that bring an audience: Content and Community. You've got to create content that people want to keep coming back for, or you've got to nurture a community, which is a difficult and time-intensive thing. Before the rise of "social media" we talked a lot about building community on the forums I ran and participated in. We ran events, connected to local and regional groups, participated on other sites to spread the word, curated content that users were producing, talked to relevant sponsors and got them involved in the forums, cross-connected to other communities, encouraged get-togethers, started and managed interesting discussions, recruited professionals and advance hobbyists who could share what they were doing, ran contests, etc., etc., etc. This isn't black magic--it was the way things were done before social media got such huge networking advantages that many people stopped going to the "internet" to interact and starting going to "facebook" or "instagram".

All of the forums I used to run, including saltwater-related, are dead now. And I let them go, because I didn't see that they were needed at the time, and I didn't want to invest my time into forcing them on anyone. But I'm still active on a number of lively community forums in other hobbies, and they're still recruiting new members of all ages. There's definitely a place for them if you want to invest in them. Fix the technical issues with the site. Reforge relationships. Find some people to nucleate and moderate discussions. Plan interesting content, figure out moderation strategies, respond to the needs of the community, enhance the forum as needed. Put the word out on all of the relevant platforms that this place is happening again.

If you're not interested in doing that work, though, I suggest you let it go. The internet is not an even playing field anymore, and gravity will pull people elsewhere.

spieszak

Administrator
Something's definitely wrong with the sort function. The 2021 threads are buried under a lot of older threads. That alone will kill a forum because it really looks like there's no community and no current content.
where are you seeing this? There are probably a grand total of 25 2021 threads that aren't from premium aquatics.

I agree with all you've said.

psa

Shark Bait
where are you seeing this? There are probably a grand total of 25 2021 threads that aren't from premium aquatics.
When I go to the General Reef Discussion topic, the first item is from 2018. They then go backward in time 15 years, before a post from 2021 shows up near the bottom of the page.

spieszak

Administrator
When I go to the General Reef Discussion topic, the first item is from 2018. They then go backward in time 15 years, before a post from 2021 shows up near the bottom of the page.
I see it too now. Weird. I was expecting it to be something like removed spam post that were pushing stuff to the top, but there are too many for it to be that.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
All of those are sticky threads. I will unstick them.

barrierreefcf

Sponsor
IMO, RF is struggling to stay alive due to the fact that it has not been keeping up with the times. No social media presence is a bad thing these days. Looking at the Facebook page for Reef Frontiers and seeing the post from June 2020 and before that Dec. 2019?!?!?! Have to keep people interested in coming to your website as much as the other reef forum websites.

This is the first time I have come back here in many years and what ads do I see? NOTHING reef related at all. That right there is bad. And then I look at the forums and what we have is a lack of interest in keeping up with the website seeing how RF only has 9 different forums.

For RF to stay viable and healthy as a reef forum option, you must first look at what the other forums are doing and what is working for them. Lack of traffic is not due to less interest in the hobby. There are far more people getting into the hobby these days then back when I first joined the hobby.

Start with getting vendor (Sponsor) forums back, talk about reef trade shows and maybe a dedicated forum for those. Chemistry and husbandry are big things and a lack of a dedicated forum for that is a big missed opportunity. Again, with the lack of interesting forums on RF, people and sponsors will head elsewhere.

Cheers,
Alex

^^^ This right here. Active social media feeding the forum. Get rid of the non-reef related ads. Update the look. Get a few big names involved in creating content and sponsoring. Its going to take an investment in time and money. There are plenty of good reef forums out there, including the pnwmas club forum,. Competition may just be too much to revive this, unless a serious commitment is made. You know we'll always support RF though. This is our home. Its where we got our start. Forever grateful! Cy @ Barrier Reef

horseflesh

I've never been active here though I did find a lot of good info in existing threads. But I don't have a saltwater tank of any kind right now and unfortunately I won't for quite a while so I'm not really part of the community anywhere.

This is a nice place and I hope it hangs on.

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
Reef Frontiers has been struggling for a bit but lately no one has been visiting.

Is anyone interested in keeping RF alive?
I am very sorry to see that the forums are struggling. That makes me sad as I used to really love this place! Unfortunately, my health and financial situations have long since declined to the point where the hobby is no longer possible for me, so I don't have much reason to visit the forums on a regular basis. I have visited from time to time to lurk and see what's news these days, but apparently have done so without having ever had to log in as I just now logged in for the first time in probably years so that I could post this.

Best wishes to everyone!

dhnguyen

Pain In The Arse
^^^ This right here. Active social media feeding the forum. Get rid of the non-reef related ads. Update the look. Get a few big names involved in creating content and sponsoring. Its going to take an investment in time and money. There are plenty of good reef forums out there, including the pnwmas club forum,. Competition may just be too much to revive this, unless a serious commitment is made. You know we'll always support RF though. This is our home. Its where we got our start. Forever grateful! Cy @ Barrier Reef

I'll have to agree with this as well. RF is kinda dated and having no social media presence certainly doesn't help.
One of the main issues also is that there's really no local groups or clubs anymore that used to support RF like back in the PSAS days.