Quantcast

The question I forgot to ask

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

BCT182

I have a buddy who set up a 55g about a year ago. He has a couple mushrooms, one colony of zoo's, one colony of button polyps, a sebae anemone and some fish. Scopas tang, blue tang, coral beauty and an false percula. I have tired to offer him my advise and manual labor but he refuses to do water changes and brags that he has never has a fish die. He says I DO water changes and thats why I have had fish die LOL. Anyways, he has had an outrageous algae bloom. Blanket maroon and green algae, hair algae, slim algae, an so on. I went to check his water and he has 0- ammonia, 0-nitrite, 0 nitrates. I haven't checked his phosphates, but about three weeks ago I added phos-ban and carbon to his filter. He has 4x65 watt PC's (2 .03 actinics and 2 10,000ks) I have asked him about feeding, photo period, and so on. Then I asked him a question that shocked me.... Water? Come to find out he has been using tap water, with out using water purifier to remove chlorine. He has to add about 1 gallon of water every two days..... Over a year thats about all his tank water has chlorine in it. Could that result in algae issues, aside from everything else?

BCT182

I have never heard that but even if that is the case, he adds a gallon every two days so it seems like it could have some negative affects on the tank. Maybe not, I was just curious if water with chlorine could increase algae growth.

johnehr

Ignorant and Oblivious
I would think that chlorine kills if it does anything. Therefore, I would guess that some of his bacteria in his tank would die off and no longer participate in the nitrogen cycle. Therefore he could get a spike here and there when adding too much chlorinated water... What do others think?

http://www.drhelm.com/aquarium/the essentials.html
This link has something about clorine evaporating after 2-3 days.

http://www.abbeyspring.com/main/articles/showerART.html
This link tells us the danger of evaporated chemicals in our water, like chlorine...

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts