Quantcast

Thread on adding invertebrates...

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
Snails, starfish and other invertebrates are more sensitive to changes in invironment than fish. So I am asking for a thread for those that need to learn how to do this. I use a piece of egg crate to let my snails walk into the water on thier own. It seems to cause less stress I have notice a big improvement in my survival rate.
Hope this saves someone trouble,
Ed

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
Great point Ed. I usually drip all of the above for twice as long as corals or fish. I never thought about just letting them do their own acclimation.

NaH2O

Good topic, Ed! Acclimation practices are important to our inhabitants health. I've moved this to Anthony's forum, so he could also give a blurb on acclimating corals. Ed, do you do drip acclimation or anything, prior to allowing the snails to dive in?

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
Nikki,
I just lay them on the egg crate and let them crawl into water. I have one end in the water. The other end is high enough where they can stay dry. Usually over night they will go into the water. The problem I have had is that sometimes a snail will get stuck trying to go through bottom of egg crate. I usually pop then out if they get stuck with finger. I have had very little die off from this practice.
Ed

Scooterman

Administrator
I once heard you can take a snail and just hold it up against the glass right above the water line, & they will acclimate themselfs, is there any truth to this?

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
I usually take about 1.5 hrs. to acclimate my inverts. Since I started doin that, I have had very little die-off. I just use a shot glass, and add a shot every 10-15 minutes. About halfway thru that, I empty out about one half of the water, and start over again. Takes a while, but it pays off. :D

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
charlie said:
I usually take about 1.5 hrs. to acclimate my inverts. Since I started doin that, I have had very little die-off. I just use a shot glass, and add a shot every 10-15 minutes. About halfway thru that, I empty out about one half of the water, and start over again. Takes a while, but it pays off. :D
I'll drink to that.. to happy healthy snails...I mean :) I could not resist Charlie. Its Friday and I am kinda excited about tomorrow. :razz:

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts