Quantcast

Titanium heaters.

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
Do any of you use a titanium heater?

I need to replace my glass heater, the control on it is so coated in coralline that I can't adjust it anymore without a lot of grief. I'm afraid it's going to consume the heater soon.

A good LFS had steel and titanium heaters, while I would assume they are suitable for SW since they are sold there I'm not going to consider it so just based on that. Looking on Reef Central I've seen a lot of people say the steel ones are junk for saltwater, which makes sense. Others are mixed on the titanium, several people mention having to polish the heater prior to use to keep it from corroding. I'd really like having the ability to control the temperature without putting my hands on the tank, and without having to add a temperature controller to the tank.

Wes

big t

tankless
One option is to soak your current heater in vinager overnight. Then the coraline will just come right off w/ a toothbrush. Titanium is supposed to be a safe thing for saltwater, as it is one of the least suceptable metals to corrosion. I think the expected life of titanium submerged in saltwater is 1,000,000 years. Some people have had problems with certain brands of titainum heaters frying their tanks tho, so I will stick w/ ebo jagear.

Tom

esmith

AQUAMANIAC
Wes, I have one of the Won Pro Titanium heaters and it works great. The temp dial is a little off from the temp in the tank, but that was easy enough to adjust and compensate once I had it working for a bit. They also have the digital version of the same temp monitor, but it's a little expensive.

Check out:http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ht_wb.asp?CartId=
this is where I got mine.

Eliyah

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
Tom, I guess I should've mentioned it, I've soaked it and cleaned the majority of the coralline off it before. With the knob clear it still is hard to adjust, the heater itself is basically wearing out. I'll calibrate it to 80F and after a few weeks it will hold at 77-78F. But thanks for the suggestion, it does work well.

Eliyah, thanks for the link. That's actually a pretty decent deal. I think the LFS I was in wanted about $55 for a 300W non digital. I'd like to spend my money locally but it's kind of hard when the price is right, but I think I may do it anyway. I know if I put it off much longer I'll end up with a dead heater or frying my tank with my luck.

Alice

I'll bet those EJ's are getting a work out now, Kevin. ;) I saw it was -19F there :shock: I've been using EJ's too with nary a hitch.

Alice

DonW

R.I.P.
Titanium heater

I just got one of the Gen-X heaters. Titanium w/ remote sensor and thermostat. Although its only been a few days, it seems to be working perfectly. Lifetime corrosion warranty.

Don

Alice

Excellent. Heater controllers are a nice feature. Thanks for the update, Don. :)

DonW

R.I.P.
Heater

Alice,

Not a controller really. It came all in one box. The thermostat mounts on a cabinet wall. The temp sensor has a long cord and the heater has a long cord. Also has an extra outlet so you can add another heater. Well I guess that is kind of a controller :eek: . 300w for $40 I think was a pretty good deal.

Don

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
Titanium heater

I use a Gen-X titanium heater, and except for one problem I love it.

The problem lies in the fact that the temp dial is outside of the water. Sounds like a great feature, huh? Well, it is, unless you accidently bump it while working on something in your cabinet. :shock:

Fortunately for me, I only bumped it up to around 83 degrees. The heater can be set for up to 90 degrees, so it is quite possible that I might have accidently cooked my tank if I had been less fortunate.

I have since placed a big strip of clear packing tape over the temp dial :idea:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.