Quantcast

To SQWD or not to SQWD

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

MINIATUS

ME Again
Ive be working on the return lines for my new 90 gal tank. And I was wondering how important is the use of such things as SQWDS or other devices that work in a similar matter.

How many people use these divises and I would be interested in those that dont and how they have plumbed there systems.

MINIATUS:confused:

jesshimom

I have no fish.
Scott recently plumbed my new 60 with one scwd. It is on the very top center of the back of the tank and is split on the top returns. I wish we would have figured out how to have more scwd's so I could have had less power heads but too late now.

The scwd works great. Here's a picture of the plumbing he did. Nice and tidy, I love it. Looks better on the back than it does inside right now!

MINIATUS

I have 2 SQWDs on my older tank and then I would have to configure the plumbing for a Mag 24 to run them both. So in your opinion I would crazy not to use them in my setup.
How do you have the SQWD plumbed to the pipe. I have too many elbows on my old setup and like the idea you have used.

MINIATUS:confused:

jesshimom

I have no fish.
Scott said he used: "Schedule 40 pipe has a coupling attached to a 3/4" hose barb fitting with vinyl hose attached to the scwd."

Yeah, I'd use another sqwd if you can get it plumbed in right as I dont like all the powerheads.

Hope that helps, Colleen

MINIATUS

I really like the way you have done the installation. On the 90 will go with 2 setups like that. Is that lockline you are using and if so does it have a flared nozzle on the end . How are you keeping it in place, so that it doesnt move all over. Sorry for the questions but I want to get it right the first time. Can you post a pic of the inside of the tank.One more question, do you get more flow from the end closer to the SQWD than the other end.

MINIATUS:)

szidls

Gaitor Wrestler
Hey Min,
We are using 3/4" locline returning into the tank and it does have a fan on the end. The idea was to use the fans near the top of tank to keep surface water agitated. It works really well. Also since it is the return pump line. The fans act as the siphon break incase of power outgage.
As to the movement of the scwd plumbing...... It is actually very stable. Yes it does move a bit but that helps to adjust locline where needed. If you can see in the pic, I made an angle braket and siliconed it to the tank. Then I used zip ties to fasten the scwd to the braket. The only movement that occurs it the sced 40 pipe where it connects to the scwd with the vinal tubing. Keep this connection as short as possible. Hope that helpes.
Scott:)

MINIATUS

Thank you for all your help. I will be using 2 setups like this on my 90 gal.:D :D :D

MINIATUS:)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts