Quantcast

Too much calcium...help!

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

jase0723

Hi,
I'm a new member.
I have a55 gallon oceanic glass tank with a 20 gallon sump. about a week ago I added a calcium reactor. The bubble rate is 10 per minute and the drip rate is 30 per minute. My test kit only goes up to 500 ppm - my calcium is so high that it's off the charts. I have also noticed that my SPS's white tips have dissapeared which means they are not growing any more? is this normal after a new calkreactor setup? will it go down? is my tank too small for a calkreactor? any tips would be appreciated.

Jase

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
well first off welcome to the board Jase.
the white tips arent really a true tell of lack of growth but your calcium is very high if that is a correct reading. Stop the unit until you can get it under control. A reactor will work fine on a tank of that size you just need to tune it in for your coral demands. I would woater change myself back to normal levels and then we can set up a maintence plan

Mike

OmarD

Hiya Mojoreef,

Please correct if wrong - but was under impression that Calcium could not go much above 450 ppm as it precips out when this high.

Reason test kits usually don't measure above 500.

Normally a problem of having to little rather then too much in our environments.

Really am just flying off the handle here, am not sure about at all.

OmarD

Scooterman

Administrator
I went high once & ended up with clumps in my lined, pumps skimmer You name it, if water flows, it was clogging up. Mike rescued me by telling me to do the water changes, I was experimenting with another salt brand, it didn't take LOL

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.