Quantcast

Top Off irritating Softy

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
Hey All,

My Colt Coral (tree like soft coral) has been growing like crazy and will probably split again in the next month for the second time in 6 weeks.. The problem I am seeing is that every time I add pure or kalk RODI top off water in my sump (.5 gal daily) it shrinks and deflates seemingly upset...

Any ideas??

I plan to set-up a Kalk drip this weekend which will probably stop the problem but I had not heard other reefers talk about this..

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
The return is not directed at it but the coral is about 12" below it and would get some shot around it.. This could be it.

The PH is solid as a rock... I was actually surprised to find I was dosing too much at a time but there was still no ph spike..

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
The PH is solid as a rock... I was actually surprised to find I was dosing too much at a time but there was still no ph spike..

That's surprising. What volume of water are you dosing into with how much kalk? Are you using a pH meter or test kit? I found when adding super saturated kalkwasser to my system even 250ml in an hour would bring the tank's pH up 0.2-0.3.

It's probably just the amount that is getting on it. I bet when you drip all will be well.

DonW

R.I.P.
My colt does the same thing, Falls over limp sometimes, shrinks into a stump at other times. It just seems to be more sensitive to any changes. Mine will shrink up if I put my hand in the tank 3 feet away. I'm no expert but I think what your seeing is normal.

Don

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
sorry for the late response all.. been busy on the in-wall project..

The tank is only 46gal display with about 12-14 more gallons in the sump. Before I learned the proper way of dosing Kalc I was mixing in 2 tsp per gallon and adding .5 gallon per day all at one :(

Even when I leave the kalk out of the water the soft is every bit as upset..

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.