Quantcast

Topping off

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

ronin253

What is the prefered method for topping off? Should I just add small amounts of fresh DI at a time, say a cup full over a long period of time, drip it in, or what? I have been just adding it in somewhat slowly but I am scarred that I may be doing it too fast. Don't want to stress out my tank inhabitants with a major change in salinity too quick.

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
IMO it will depend on the volume of the tank and how much water you are adding daily.

Go to www.garf.org on the left hand sidewalk there is a link to calculators. Clisk on the evaporation calc. It will help you determine how much top-off and the likely impact to salinity.

Hope that helps:

On my 46gal I evaporate about 3/4 gal per day. I add some in the morning and some and night but this will soon be replaced by Kalk drip.

ronin253

jlehigh

I am having to replace about 1g daily in my 55fg hex. My biggest concern is the wave of mixing FW and SW when I add the DI. My worst nightmare would be to have one of my fish suddenly start having problems because I am adding FW to quickly...or am I just being too paranoid?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.