Quantcast

Tort's

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

wanareef

reefer addict
I will be getting a frag of the Cali tort and was just wondering where in the tank should I put it.
I have another tort high up (Oregon) about 3" from the water line and it "seems" to be doing ok. Should I lower it?

Cal 410, alk 10.1, sg 1.024, temp 79 -80', nitrates 0, nitrites 0, ammonia 0, po4 0,

2x 250w 65k Saki's w/4x 160w URI super actinics.

NaH2O

I would leave the current one where it is....and put the new one up high as well. Is there a reason you would like to lower it?

kevinpo

Expert
I keep my Oregon tortuosa about 18-20" below a 400W 10,000K and 400W 20,000K driven by PFO HQI ballasts.

Regards,
Kevin
PS: It's been there since Feb. 2003 and I think it has held its color reasonably well.

wanareef

reefer addict
The OR tort, the one I have now is starting to either bleach or RTN. There is a small whitish spot on the top of the frag. On one small stubb of a branch it turned white and I ragged it to stop it spreading.

Kevin - my saki's are not intense enough? There are 250w's

kevinpo

Expert
I think maybe you should lower it down to about 10-12" below the water-line. Your lights are plenty powerful enough to keep any coral I know of. When this coral does not receive enough light it turns purplish brown. It also likes high alternating flow.

HTH,
Kevin

SueT

IME with tortuosa's they don't need to be high in the tank, being blasted with light. Like Kevin has shown with his, the oregon tortuosa which IMO is a harder blue pigment to keep. Mid tank is plenty of light. Higher in the tank and they will not hold the true intense blue coloration. 250w halides are plenty of light for these specific corals.

RedEyeReef

Tagging along,

Hey Kevin, moved my Blue Tort into his finally rest spot last night. I can't believe how Blue that frag is, Thanks Kevin.

I need to figure out this camera/computer thing.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.