Quantcast

Touching the surface

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Mushroom Boy

So, what do you do when you've got a colony that's about to touch the surface? I've got one that's about 1/2 cm from touching the surface. I realize it will grow flat when it does, but are there any possible bad side effects associated with the constant air/water interface and coral tissue? Is there more die off associated with this type of environment, allowing more nutrients into the water?

Paul M.

MtnDewMan

Paul

As you know, I have had a few colonies ride the surface with no ill effects. The colonies stopped growing and flattened out, still showed good live tissue on the top side. Make sure you don't have fluctuating water levels though as if exposed, the MH's will eat that tissue alive when that close to the top :)

Fragman

Too close to the surface!

I would say that it is "Fragtime"! If you don't want to frag it then the obvious answer would be to relocate it lower in the water column.

Paul H.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
The coral will do ok when it rides a touch over the surface, unless thier is a breeze. This will cause the slime membrane to dry and thus begin to strip. I would frag them down about an inch.

Mike

Mushroom Boy

Well, as I'm looking at it now, there's a branch that's tickling the surface now. This is the colony that I've got growing off of the back wall in my tank. Might be time to frag it :). I'm probably going to have to remove it entirely and re-glue it on later when the time comes to move my tank...

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.