Quantcast

Trachyphyllia geoffroyi disease

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

uwscotch

I was wondering if anyone could identify this problem and how to treat it. I've done some research, but the only thing I can come up with is some kind of fungus. As you can see, in the mantle there is a green ball. When the coral is disturbed, the mantle retracts and the bulge becomes more obvious. It is actually attached to the coral skeloton and can be carefully removed, however the point of origin on the coral skeleton remains obvious. The mantle will grow over the area, however, the green bump comes back to the size of a small pea in about 3 months. I have thought about attempting to surgically remove the infected coral skeleton, but would prefer other less invasive avenues for a cure. When the lump is removed and dissected, the surface is very smooth and when cut laterally, reveals a porous network of tubes. Thanks in advance.

Aaron

Anthony Calfo

Aaron... this is not a disease, my friend. It is simply an exposed part of the corallum (skeleton) where a nuisance organism (algae) has gained a foothold (the exposed septa). No more, no less. Continue to carefully remove the growth (even scrape the algae on the septa clean) to help the coral heal faster. In the wild, the water quality, water flow and subsequently the healing would be better/faster than in aquaria.

More importantly, your pic of this deepwater variety of Trachyphyllia reveals to me very watery/pale pigmentation which tells me that it has not been getting target fed a minimal 3times weekly (I'd opt for near daily).

Trachyphyllia is one of the "hungriest" corals you can buy. Even if you could have "perfect" lighting or canned sun from the wild reef where it was collected, this monotypic coral gets no more than 80% of its daily nutrition from the by-products of photosynthesis. Thus, over 20% of its daily food must come from something other than light. And thats assuming you have "perfect" light.

I suspect you have underestimated, as most of us do at first, just how much food this coral needs to survive for years in captivity... rather than struggle along.

The lack of vigor/feeding explains the slow healing and losing ground to algae. Heck... it may even be the cause as the tear in the polyp could be the early signs of attrition (starvation). This is what starved Trachyphyllia do in time.

No worries, though... you can save the day still :)

Anthony

uwscotch

Thank you Anthony

I greatly respect your opinion and knowledge. I target feed it weekly with a meaty ocean plankton, but I will increase to 3 times a week for a couple of weeks until I start to feed it daily. Let me be another example of the aquariast that underestimates the requirements for the wonderful animals we put into our possession. I will also try to scrape the skeleton clean the next time I remove the algae growth.

Thanks again

Aaron

Anthony Calfo

no worries, my friend... I learned the hard way on this one myself! I had a specimen that I fed casually... watched it suffer over time and then only after investigating (as you did here) did I find data and aquarists that made this coral's needs clearer to me :)

best of luck/life to you,

Anthony

Anthony Calfo

much appreciated Curt... but I did actually sneak that tidbit it, albeit sly, with my reference to the animal above (1rst post, 3rdPP) when I referrred to it as "monotypic".

One species in the genus - a monotype. No more Wellsophyllia... no more Red Brain limbo/species... all colors/forms of this so-called "open-brain" are T. geoffroyi

Anthony (... alert as long as the coffee and tea flow) :)

Anthony Calfo

heehee... no cold, we've progressed to miserable allergies and sinus infection :p

If it makes me too grumpy, I'll put myself in the penalty box. ha! :p

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.