Quantcast

Tubastraea

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
I picked up a tubastraea in a trade last Sunday. I understand that this little guy needs alot of TLC. Do any of you have this coral, and how often do you guys feed it? I'll try to get some pics when the lites come on.

Alice

Tubas are beautiful corals, but oh yeah on TLC. They don't care about light much one way or the other, but boy do they love to eat meaty foods. Place yours in the bottom of the tank in a medium flow area within easy reach. Some people remove the coral from the tank and place it in a bucket of tank water to feed so as not to add excess food to the tank and so they can make sure each individual polyp gets its' share. Meaty blender mush is good, finely minced fresh seafood, napuli, daphnia, baby brine, all should do, using a turkey baster or large syringe. You might want to squirt a small amount of food first to elicit a feeding response, then feed when the polyps are fully open. It may take awhile but the coral will come to know when it's dinner time and open up on schedule.

As I said, it is a beautiful coral but when I had one in my old 55 I took it back to the LFS for credit. The (almost) daily feedings just got to be too much for me.

Alice

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
Alice, thanx for the heads up. I have been feeding it when the lites are off, at about 6AM. That is about the only time the cleaner shrimp don't bug the ^&*( out of it. If I can keep the schedule, I hope it works for "sunny".

Alice

Aren't shrimp a PITB at feeding time? I never tried it with the Tuba but when I was target feeding LPS I would place a small plastic colander over the coral so the shrimp couldn't steal the food. I know some people have used a strawberry basket (you know; the green ones that berries come in from the grocery store) just find a good rock to weigh either of them down with. ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts