Quantcast

Tunze flow or Closed Loop or both?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
Hey All,

Well I am changing the plan for my inwall because of a Bonus pay out in Febuary :) This takes me back to ground Zero in my planning. The new tank will be 72"LX30"WX26"H (~245Gal) with two corner overflows.

I need to design my flow. I see my main options being a closed loop, Tunze Stream w/controller, and Seaswirls...

I like the simplistic approach of adding a Tunze though I also would like to make sure the bottom areas of the tank are stirring detritus up and out which I would think is best accomplished by a closed loop with a spray bar.

Would anyone care to provide some feedback if they run any of these systems and have reccomendations. I like the idea of lots of flow. Mojo's design got me thinking again as always...

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
I am beginning to answer my own questions but the $$$ factor is looking scary..

.02$ from you all has always been worth a million to me so feel free to lemme have it ;)

Something like 1 Tunze 6080 and two Seaswirls for returns however I would still worry about detritus on the bottom of the tank.. FYI` That will impact any closed loop plumbing. I wanted to not paint the back of the tank black and have a removeable black cover allowing visibility from the garage side.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
jlehigh I wouldnt do both, one r the other would be fine. The Tunze's are nice but a little to big for my liking in the tank. Also thier flow is pust from one position, so not very dynamic. Could leave alot of dead spots.
I would go closed loop. If you need a hand in designing it I could try???

MIke

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
hehehe "try" eh? I think you would re-configure Seattle's water works mike... You help is definately welcome.

The overflows will flow into the 110gal I got from strange69. I was thinking of partitioning the 110 to act as a refugium as well, and sell my 46gal Bwfrnt&stand.

I really need to learn more about how closed loops work to create the eratic flow as well as running a spray bar down below. Would I need 2 closed loops? I am also wondering the best way to feed the water into the closed loop.

so basically I need reef plumbing 102 since I have the terminology down and a basic understanding...

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
Mike I read through you reef central TOTM article again for the umteenth time and paid closer attention to your plumbing and better illustrated pictures compared to those I found here. I understand the closed loop now.

One question I have. I believe your sump return was via the spraybar correct?? How do you prevent a complete drain if the power fails? Is there some kind of ball valve in the feed just before the spraybar?

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
Here is an overview diagram of flow. This is virtually all directly from Mojoreefs design frankly because I have not seen better. Though catered to my setup..

plumber_bob

I would look into the SCWD system which can be found at your LFS. Just need to get a pump to drive it. However, make sure the pump doesn't push over 1200gph.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Ok jlehigh the first thing you have to get under your belt is what is your plan for overall tank concept. Are you going to run a DSB? or BB or CC.This will make a big difference on the whole set up of the tanks plumbing. As each system requires different flow and flow patterens.
let me know and then we can get into the meat of it.

Mike

esmith

AQUAMANIAC
Tagging along, need to re-design my plumbing.

I am considering replumbing the tank with a CL and a spray bar behind the rocks so that I can increase the flow around the bottom of the tank. Keep getting small amounts of cyano on the sand.

Eliyah

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
One change to the diagram... The overflows from the display will run directly down into the tank, not back up through the sumps existing overflows... gravity only works one way ;)

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Jonah I need to know if your going to have any sediment (ie sand or cc or none) on the base of the tank. this will make a big difference on how to plumb it for water flow.
On the sump/refugium is this unit already built??? if so does it have any baffles in it???
You return water feed as it stands right now iwll not work, the lack of a syphon break is very dangerious, but we can work that one out.
Anyway reply to the above and we can go from thier

Mike

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
????? Jonah? Are there two people here with that name? Lol.

Actually, I am tagging along (lurking?) as well, since I may be getting a tank in the very near future which is already drilled for closed loop, and I've never done one before.

On mine, I would prefer to go with a sand bed, maybe 2-3", because I really like the way that looks. As far as grain size, I like the smaller grain sizes but strong current really seems to blow it around so I'm flexible.

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
Hey you can call me Sally if you're offering plan advice ;)

I do not want a sand bed and plan on just having a thin layer of cc so I can vacumn it from time to time.

The sump/refugium has no baffles yet. I was looking at various manufactuer plans and a few other reefers to determine where and how to put in the walls/baffles... Right now it's just a 110 gal tank with massive center overflow.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Duhh!!! sorry folks crossed up the name, lol
Ok if the sump/ref is not done that is good. on your system your closed loop looks good, what pump have you decided on????
On your water return, not so good. no syphon break. the only way to do it and have it hook up to a spray bar is to go up and over the top, having the break on the top. If you still want that let me know and we can take it further. On your sump/refugium I would suggest the following. have it so the fist part of the sump is the refugium then it would go to the main sump portion. This way you could have one drain go to the ref part and the other join in somewhere in the middle then both would go throught the sump and be returned from the other side. This will allow for slower flow through the refugium and allow for beeter contact time with the algae or sand you may want to put in their. You will just have to baffle it properly. I can draw it up if you want.

let me know on the pump and spray bar thingy

Mike

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
Well I have a lil Giant I bought off DrDeano. It moves 1000-1100gph... Though now I'm thinking I need a bigger one... So to answer that question. No I haven't..

Well... I think I do want a spray bar.. Maybe for the syphon break the pipe can run up over the top and down into the overflow box where a drilled hole would be at the base running through the box into the spray bar..??

Your ref/sump idea sounds great. One question I have sprouts from another thread elsewhere where they believed pods are skimmed out of the water before making it into the main tank if the ref preceeds the sump.

I'll give the drawing a try... No need to take up your time.

Thanks a ton Mojoreef!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.