Quantcast

Tunze Streams versus closed loop...

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

jesseb

I'm planning a large aquarium to put in the sunroom I'm building - it'll be 300+ gallons - 8ft x 30 x 30ish.

I'm thinking about not putting in a closed loop, and just putting in Tunze streams. The rationale - fewer holes drilled in the tank, one less pump to worry about, etc.

Any thoughts on this?

thanks

jesse

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Hey Jesse I am glad to see you made the board. Both offer goods and bad. Yes with a closed loops drilling holes come into play and everything that is associated with them. With the tunze they are a nice unit and capable of some neat stuff. For an 8 foot tak I would think your going to ned at least 3 maybe four. that could be costly. Another thing I would really suggest is to try to find a member that has one to show you. A friend got 2 and they were alot bigger then I would have liked to see, Basically an oversized PH. Try to keep in mind random flow and no dead spots?

come on by the house and I can at least show you the closed loop version.

Mike

MtnDewMan

I have heard about them, but never seen them in action. Markstr was going to put them on his tank, and if we could ever convince him to fill it up with water we could see how they work out :idea:

northstaraquatics

The Lone Reefer
I've got a set of Streams running on a 4'x2'x2' 120. They are over powered for this application, but would work well in an 8' long tank. I have mine powered back a bit, but love the water motion and settings that are available.

Best Wishes,
Jon

MnReefMan

hmmmmm i am not a fan of them as they are blky and imo look hideous.... i vote for the closed loop for flow

northstaraquatics

The Lone Reefer
imo look hideous....

They offer a fake rock to hide it which is vapor ware at this time. They are difficult to hide as they push a lot of water and can only be placed around the perimeter. They are as ugly as any other powerhead planted in an aquarium. Some People are attaching them to magnets to gain better positions. Another person put them in the overflow with just the outlet sticking through a hole - that would be sharp!

Grouperdog

I came very close to putting them in my tank until I saw in person how big they were. My tank is a 75 gal so I would think in your size tank they would fit fine. I did a lot of research on them and the random flow avaialble from them I think is very unique. Two should work fine along with a sump return , remember they can produce up to 3100 GPH. If you need any more technical information let me know I have there operations manual on my computer.

Doug1

I havent got to see them but the pics and comments indicate they are large for a smaller tank like my 75. Once buying them, you are stiuck with, unless you sell at a loss, where as with a closed loop setup, you have the option of adding squids or sea swhirls, loc-line or just capping them off and doing something else. Just something to think about :)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts