Quantcast

Turbidity Causing Algae?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

NaH2O

I have been brain storming like crazy about my algae issue.....trying to determine where the source of the problem is (even though I know my tank is young - the algae is still bad). One thing I came up with was water turbidity. I'm not sure it would have an effect at all, but I know my water always has detritus being swept up into the water column. Would the turbidity of water create a shift in light that would promote algae growth? I don't really know if light shifting would be created by turbid water, or if light shifting actually promotes algae growth.

Deep down I don't feel this is an issue, as my algae has died back and bloomed, which makes sense (dead algae, feed bacteria, dead bacteria, feed algae), but it did make me wonder about water clarity and algal growth.

What do you think???

DonW

R.I.P.
Nikki,
In your case I really dont turbidiy is causing it. I could see it if you had a low flow system. If its bad you can run a sock for a day or two. Some rock gets hair at first and others dont. My kids 20 got it real bad. It took a yellow tang and lots of water changes to get it under control. I know it sound mean but a hungry yellow tang will clean up most hair pretty quick. You just need to do the extra water changes so he's not feeding it as fast as he can consume it.
If it were my tank I'd put in three or four yellow tangs. Feed only once a week and change 10g of water twice a week. When I got it under control I'd find homes for all but one tang.

Forgot, I would also dose kalk at night wether you need the calcium or not.

Don

Last edited:

NaH2O

Don, I run a sock currently, and change it out every couple of days. I do plan on taking that off tonight, and leaving it off to see what difference that will make, but I was leaving it on due to the amount of detritus in my water column. I have considered dosing kalk, and even purchased some of Warner Marines, so I will probably try that next. When I was going through the checklist of algae triggers, lighting came to mind, and led me to the turbidity issue in general.

My tank aside, do you think turbidity would be an issue in any tank, by causing shifts in lighting?

DonW

R.I.P.
Maybe in low light FO tanks or really nasty tanks. The water turning yellow will definatly cause problems but probably not floaties.

Don

reedman

I would think this could be a contribution...but a small one. I would look for other areas that are contributing to nutrient source first and solve that. If the lighting was old I would think that could trigger an algae bloom, but I have had some really turbid water whenI introduced my AM3K to my 75 gallon tank with the DSB and no bloom resulted from that.

How much detritus is coming out of the rocks now?

Are you seeing any die off?

What is your NO3 level?

With the flow you have in your system, I have to think you have an elevated level of P or N or both and that is triggering the algae bloom.

NaH2O

I'm still seeing a fair amount of detritus coming out of the rocks, no where near what it was, but the algae is also trapping alot. I have been making an attempt to quit being in the tank, and see if that makes a difference, however it is a difficult task for me. I do plan on going in there today to do more turkey basting. I have noticed some algae die off, and I get my hopes up. Sometimes, though, I wonder if the die off is wishful thinking.

I've checked P levels in freshly made water, ro/di water, tank, and all show zero. I'll run the test again. Nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia are all zero as well. The only chemistry issue I had was low alk, which I have brought up. I'll try and get a water sample from in the rocks, too.

DonW

R.I.P.
I forget the name of the rock we had hair problems with. I think Pikuni or something like that any ways.

Is that what you have?

Don

DonW

R.I.P.
Probably the nicest rock I've ever seen. All three tanks we set up with it had more hair than cousin it.

Don

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
I would not run the socks all day every day, just use them when you are cleaning the tank or stirring things up. The turbidity should not be the problem, if its in the water its on its way out, instead of stewing in it. Sounds like your still in the algae/bacteria flux period. You should be noticing the algae bloom getting smaller and smaller as it comes back. Just keep up with regular maintence, as in blowing off the rocks and sucking up any piles and it should fade as time goes by.
I also have the pukani and it had a cyano bloom for the first few days but no algae...still..knock on wood.

Mike

NaH2O

I would also dose kalk at night wether you need the calcium or not.
Don - I forgot to mention when I said I was considering dosing kalk. My 5 gallon doser and I haven't been getting along very well. It has been the core issue of 2 floods I've had in the past 5 days. Shhhh....it has nothing to do with user error.....ok, maybe the first one did, but the second one had nothing to do with me.

Careful Mike - you might be jinxing yourself! I will for sure remove the filter sock. I'm going to make an attempt tonight to run some more water tests, that way I can report on the phosphates and nitrates, just to rule those out.

NaH2O

It was 5 months old a couple of weeks ago. Still too young for me to be complaining now about it, but that darn perfectionism thing. Lots of fun when the 3 year old says, "Oh mommy, your allagee sure is pretty".

Maxx

Staff Housemonkey
Thats still better than the one my parents heard alot of with my brother and I running amok:
"Uh Oh....." followed by the sounds of little boys running off somewhere to hide.
Nick

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.