Quantcast

ugh! what a mess!

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

mattseattle

I woke up early for some reason today and glad I did. My new RBTA found the one and only powerhead that I did not put a sponge on. Well it's shredded! Poor little guy! :( nonetheless I did a huge water change and am now running carbon. The water is a little cloudy but at least it seems everything is still alive. What a Sunday morning present!

So here is a warning to all the new anemone buyers! make sure to cover and protect all your water inlets or else the anemone WILL find them! I was going to get a sponge this week for it.....I should've just turned it off till I did.

Happy Sunday!

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
Thanx for the heads up,I know how you feel. My RBTA got into a MJ1200 about 2 weeks ago, and it had one the screens on it. Luckily, I caught it in time and the anenome is now still happily existing in my 80. Got lucky!!

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I have had that issue with small clown trigger years ago..There has to be a way to prevent this? So for that reason I want a closed loop system. I want one area for a suction area. Screens-good idea Charlie. Sponges- They need to be cleaned every so often because of build up, but very good idea Eric! Those are both good ways to prevent for mishaps.

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
Ed,
That is one of the reasons I like the Maxi-Jet powerheads. The hagen powerheads do a great job of moving water, but they have no protection whatsoever. I am looking into a way to put a closed loop on the 80 gallon, especially since this last incident.

mattseattle

yeah i am not going to get another RBTA till I upgrade my tank and go with a closed loop. I don't want to chance this again. I was lucky this time because I woke up early. I usually sleep in on Sundays. The tank is still cloudy but I think I have picked out all the pieces of the anemone. My cleaner shrimp and hermits have found the rest, I hope. I did a large water change this morning when I first found it and I'll do another one this afternoon. I'm having to make some more RO/DI water.

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
Maxijets 1200s are cool. They have protective covers. They are usually long living, They cycle well with timers. They have proven themselves time and time again in the past years. Charlie, I may be asking you for input on my closed loop? I have the pump, prefilter boxes being built, I bought two 3/4 inch Sea Swirls. Now If I only had what Wizard of Oz gave the lion to build this?

ps. I am gonna be prepared for a drink this time. It was awful watching you be comfortable last time. Let me refrase that it was torture. Picture some friendly guy walking around with a smile talking about fish with a drink in his hand. You wanting to drink. I need to find a driver to Spokane. I will supply my Jeep Grand Cherokee or wifes honda? I need a driver damn it!

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
Ed,
Just get to Spokane, and we'll worry about the rest later.:D
I take it your tank is not drilled. Might have to get someone else involved with this closed loop project too. I want to do about the same thing with my 80.

fengzhu

Matt, very sorry to hear that news. Hope it's the only loss and nothing eles will happen.

All my 3 circulation pump inlets are like this image, is that safe enough or I should put screen or sponge on it?

mattseattle

nope - those are not safe. that is the way one of mine was and that is exactly what sucked him in. all 3 of those need a sponge or something on it.

mine stayed put yesterday on a rock near the back wall. before i went to bed he was half way up the wall and my gut told me to turn off the one powerhead but i didn't listen to my intuition. woke up at 7:30 this morning to find it wrapped around the inlet and my water super cloudy.

is yours still moving around the tank or has it found a spot and stayed? mine stayed in the same spot for a week then decided to start moving 2 days ago.

fengzhu

He stayed in a big hole for almost 2 days now. One hour ago he vomited a small black stuff out, about the size of those tiny blue-leg hermit crab, and shrinked himself into the hole. I doubt that is because he could not digest all the shrimp meat I fed him Friday night. Don't know whether he will move or not, but I will put sponge on powerhead any way. It's an expensive lesson.

mattseattle

yeah they shrink to expel waste. sometimes when adjusting to a new tank they will also expel other stuff. just keep an eye on it and make sure that it re-inflates within about 5 hours or otherwise it could be going downhill.

definitely put a sponge on all intakes. i don't want you to lose your RBTA like I did mine. i just finished my 2nd large water change. my tank is finally clear but it has that 'dead' odor to it. hopefully the carbon will get that out. i've changed probably 45 - 50% of the tank volume today so hopefully that will help get the tank back on good ground.

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
Sounds like everything is pretty much under control. Good job with the water changes!!!!!! The carbon should take care of the odor, you may want to either add more carbon or change the carbon tonite before you hit the hay.

mattseattle

i put about a cup in the filter sock and that was the last of my carbon. i'll let it run tonight and if it's still stinky tomorrow i'll go buy some more and do another run.

i was thinking maybe i'd do one more water change tomorrow as well.

Doug1

Bummer Matt :( good idea to change out the carbon daily, any other filter media to extract any particles floatin around. FWIW Ronin nemocysts can be problematic for a while, make sure you are blowing off the rocks and stuff to get it all out. Good luck

mattseattle

what are Ronin nemocysts?

so change the carbon daily for how many days? 3 or so?

i did find a few small pieces of the anemone in the tank but i could not get to them. hopefully the hermits, cleaner shrimp and/or snails will get it all tonight.

just hope i don't have an algae outbreak or other issues. the smell is almost gone though so i think the carbon and water changes are definitely working. all my corals and all look fine with the normal extension of polyps.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.