Quantcast

Uniquarium Add-ons?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Rob Schwartz

Hi folks,

My present tank is a 60 gallon "Uniquarium", a style that has the sump built into the back of the tank with a variety of chambers. This has been a great aquarium for us to learn with, although our next one will obviously be more traditional with overflows, sump, fuge, etc. I have already turned the bio-ball chamber into a fuge of sorts!

MY question is if anyone out there has a similar tank that they may have added other equipment to, i.e. A calcium Reactor, or below the tank sump?

We are looking to change the tank into SPS dominant, but of course feel that we should have a Ca reactor, to do so would we need to drill the acyrlic and place another sump down below, or could we simply add an HOB overflow and go directly to a CA reactor? The downside to this is that the overflow would have to be attached to a back chamber which is extremely narrow in width (3-4 inches).

Thanks for any help or advice!

Rob

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
You might be able to get a shorter bulkhead than normal if you wanted to add a sump. The back space only needs to be big enough to get the bulkhead in their once. Can you post a picture showing how the built in sump works? I'm sure that would help greatly.

In the mean time, have you looked at Homemade Two Parters?

Here's a little more advanced info

Rob Schwartz

Thanks curt, good advice!

We have worked on the supplements in the past with no problems, but I was worried that once stocked with mostly SPS that we would have a hard time properly maintaining balance...hence the reactor idea :)

I just looked through my gallery on RC to see if I still had pics of the included sump but sadly I must have erased them. I'll see what I can come up with!

I'm sure that I could simply drill a couple of drains into the bottom of the sump chambers, there is only one overflow that leads from the false back of the tank and into the sump chambers so max drain in case of power failure would be the entire enclosed sump system of roughly 8-10 gallons. I just hate the idea of drilling the tank, it seems so darn permanent. That's why I was thinking of an HOB overflow or see what others may have done in the past.

Thanks again,

Rob

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
2 of my 3 nano tanks operate in a similar manner...fake back with hidden sump. That's why I wanted to see your pics.

Regardless, they now sell plugs for bulkheads so they are not as permanent as they once were. (Even though it is an official plumbing part, I believe I would still hit it with silicone). A sump would be awesome because SPS are nutrient finicky....the biggest protein skimmer you can get will fit in an undertank sump but not in the built in one.

Regardless, maybe we can do this easier. I wonder if there are any overflows that are compatible with your sump. Does anyone know? I know Marc Levenson (melevsreef.com) has a plan for a custom weir overflow but can't find the link at the moment.

Rob Schwartz

Great idea!

I've of course followed Melev's threads forever and love the work he has done. This will be an integral part of planning the next tank, in that anything I purchase I want to be able to move to the next one.

The present tank is only 60 gallons, and as mentioned was a perfect starter tank, but with the false back it really limits aquascaping, etc since it cuts 4 inches off the depth of the system. It would be great to have everything ready to go for the future 180!

Best,

Rob

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts