Quantcast

Used tanks

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

D

dennyvd

I found a pair of used glass tanks in a pawn shop in NE Seattle for only 99.00$ each. They were slightly scratched and the top has small chips in places. No cracks that I could see. They had holes drilled in the bottom. The size was 60" long, 30" deep and 18" front to back. Are used tanks worth the purchase? These two looked well used and professionally made to standards I've read about for new tanks, like reinforcement across the front and back and at the top and edges of the glass at the top, etc. What would be a good price to offer considering the risk of tank failure; either cracking or edge seals are bad and need reworking or replacement?

Katchupoy

I think being used is not a problem.... as long as you check all the sealants if they are still good....

You can ask tamarindthai.... he bought two (used) large sized glass tanks...

I think its worth it...

OnTheReef

Re:used tanks

Denny,

I have had excellent luck with used tanks, seattle.craigslist.org being my most fruitful hunting ground. The best condition tanks I have found so far are from folks who have had a full-tank die-off and decide to drop the hobby. I scrub them down with white vinegar and then with pure baking soda (no perfumes, deodorizers, etc!) As others have mentioned, it's very important to check the interior seals for aging, separation from the glass and damage. Be especially wary of tanks which have housed rodents or reptiles with claws, as they will often chew or scratch the seals and tank tops, significantly weakening them. I also troll www.nwcassifieds.com and eBay, but frankly I have found no bargains at either of those venues.

Happy hunting!

Eric

mattseattle

i found my current tank on craiglists. i got a great deal on it. the lady sold it because her father had just passed away and it was his tank. she didn't know how to maintain it so she sold everything. i received 5 huge buckets of rock, stand, canopy, 55 gallon acrylic tank, 4 or 5 heaters, sump, return pump, 5 powerheads, thermometers, 2 timers, extension cords, power strips, and alot of other stuff for $175.00. it only had NO tubes in the hood but I upgraded that to MH by doing a trade on reefcentral.com

The tank did have a few deep scratches in it but i buffed those out.

I constantly see tanks on craigslist though.

tamarindthai

forgot to tell you this 180 gal ,,will bow it ,,need metal strap to keep them from bowing,,need info stop by my place www.tamarindthai.net ,,i got 2 180 gal glass tanks,,and i found the cure.
dang

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.