Quantcast

Ushio 10K to Coralvue 10K

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

The R/C Man

Hi Everyone!

I just thought you might be interested in bulb differences on my tank. The first pic is the Coralvue and the second is the Ushio. On a graph the Ushio's spike is about 425 and the Coralvue about 450. You can actually tell in the pictures that the Ushio is more purple and the Coralvue more blue which corespond to there spikes on spectograph. I also noticed that that Coralvue also spikes towards the orange part of the spectrum unlike the the Ushio. After looking at the data and compairing the pics I think the Coralvue may have a better overall apperance. What do you guys think?

esmith

AQUAMANIAC
I agree with Ed, the Coralvue looks better.

Thanks for sharing, I might have to change my bulb plans when I switch to MH.

Eliyah

cheeks69

I have the coralvue 12k and love the look but it's changing the color on my LPS SPS and even my anemones to much lighter colors. My RBTA went from a maroon color to pink :confused: Also there was a thread at RC were many were complaining about coralvue's bleaching SPS.

The R/C Man

Really? I missed that one. Well the charts didn't seem that much different. Do you know if they where staying with the same Kalvin or changing to something higher like your 12k or even a 14k. I figured going from the Ushio 10k to a Coralvue 10k shouldn't make that much difference. The price difference was the reason for my change. Why spend $95 when you can get a bulb for $65. I guess after the Coralvue has been on the tank for a few months and the corals have adapted will determain my future purchases.....

cheeks69

I'll see if I can dig that thread up it was really interesting JBNY gave an idea of why the bleaching occured but I can't remember all the details it was in the SPS forum.

CarlaW

Scarlet Begonias
Greg, how long has the Coralvue bulb been on the tank? Metal Halides usually have a burn in time of 80+ hours. I wonder if you will see a color change, say after 10 days?

reefsupply

The whole bleaching issue was started by a competitor; I have used Coralvue for my tanks for quite a wile and have had no bleaching. For the price you can’t beat it

cheeks69

Actually there was many hobbiests complaining about bleaching because of the coralvue's in that RC thread and JBNY tested it here's what he said:

"I've been PM'd and emailed enough times about this so I thought I would comment for others to read. It seems that many people are having problems with acclimating SPS corals to their new coralvue lamps. Most, not all, of the people are going from a 10K MH lamp to the Coralvue. After looking at it a lot, here is the best explanation that I can come up with. All the Coralvues have huge spikes at 590nm. No other lamp at all has a spike in this spectrum. I think they are using it to give the lamp it's white color to offset the 450nm. It could be that the intensity at that wavelength is much more than the coral can take, or is used to, so it bleaches. I'm starting to lean to this theory, as the 450nm spike in the CV10K is less intense than the radium and XM20K, yet no one is reporting these kinds of problems with those lamps."

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=314378&highlight=coralvue

reefsupply

Well after reading it I still disagree due to the fact I run a heck of a lot of CV 400 & 250 lamps a lot more than most. I have been running them for over a year with only one problem. That was a defect in the glass on one run around Feb-Apr. I could go on about many others and there so called problems. But i guess it is easy to pick on a small Distributor. They did have the issues with the glass and that might have been the problem. The newer run the glass is much thicker and of higher quality. Also on the link read the last pages.

Last edited:

The R/C Man

charlie,

Yeah, I just put the bulb on yesterday. I will take another pic after Turkey day and compair the two..... I am curious to see the difference... :)

cheeks69,

I will check out the thread tomorrow... Thanks!
I am looking at the two graphs side by side and the Ushio has a peak at 425 and the Coralvue at 450. Not to much of a difference. They both have a spike at 550 and the Coralvue has another large spike at 600 that the Ushio does not. This spike is a yellow/orange on in the visible spectrum. This is probably where most of the drastic change if any would come from. Time will tell all. I will keep you posted of any changes.....

The initial difference noticed are:
1. Tri-color tips now appear deep blue as opposed to deep purple and the green polyps are more pronounced
2. Purple digitata nows appears to be a bluer shade of purple
3. Pink pocillipora appears pinker as do the Xenia

kevinpo

Expert
There were some UV issues with the CoralVue bulbs early on but they have been corrected. I run several of the 400W 10,000K bulbs in 16" deep tanks and have no bleaching problems with SPS type corals but excellent color.

Regards,
Kevin

reefsupply

I totally agree with ya Kev.
Oh ya just an FYI JBNY is paid by Lumen General (XM) he gets free bulbs and ballast. The CoralVue Bulbs were sent to Dana Riddle at Riddle labs for testing and he could never find anything wrong with them, but JBNY is a hobbyist and I guess his work is far better than a professional at spectrum analysis. Considering that he compensated by Lumen General you then can assume that the results of his test are not valid and should be taken with a grain of salt. With all of the reading I have done on this subject I cannot be conclusive on the actual problem due to the fact that they all seem to immediately jump on the bulb. There are many factors that can cause this problem. I only see people doing one test. With the amount of CV 10k bulbs out there it seems to be a relatively small amount of people raising the issue. Could it be a few people who work for a competitor raising it? Guys and Gals I have a lot of money riding on these bulbs and I trust them. If they were junk and bleaching out my corals I wouldn’t use them or sell them. We all know how people love to jump on the bandwagon. Like Zoo's when it is Zoa's

cheeks69

Stephen I didn't bring this up to cause you any difficulties and I apologize. I use the CV 12k and really like the color but as I've mentioned my corals and anemones have lightened and changed color but no bleaching episodes for me. It's probable in my case that when I went from PC's to MH and PC's the intensity increased and caused the change even though I went very slow and acclimated the inhabitants for a week. My RBTA refused to move and in the beginning it didn't look good at all as it was right under the bulb but know it's doing well and I like the pink color it changed to.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.