Quantcast

UV protectant & splash shield

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

esmith

AQUAMANIAC
Does anyone know which would be better to use for a splash shield for some DIY lighting, acrylic, lexan, or glass. My thinking is that using lexan or glass would be best, but I am not sure which one will filter out more of the light spectrum...I don't want to loose any of the little bit I have.
I am using 2 55w PC's over a 30 gallon tank, and right now they are suspended over the water without any protection. I am going to be adding 2 more 55's and would also like to put a shield to protect them from the salt spray & buildup.

Also, does anyone know of a good shop who sells lexan if this is the best option? I was told that I would need to seek a shop who specializes in plastics.

Thanks,
Eliyah

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
I think glass allows the most light to go through. I don't really think enough to be really worried about it though, as acrylic or plexiglass is the easiest to work with. I use plexiglass myself just because it's light and is easiest to attach to the light fixture itself so you don't have to deal with multiple pieces when removing the lights to get into the tank.

OnTheReef

Re: splash guard

According to Julian Sprung, glass or acrylic splash guards perform equally well, but you need to clean them frequently of algae and salt deposits, as these *will* cut down your light transmission. In my experience, glass splash guards are easier to clean.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.