Quantcast

UV Sterilizers

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

jmaxwell

Thought I would bring up this topic since I recently added one to my reef tank. It seems as though my sponges and gorgonian are suffering a little as a result. Is this my imagination or do UV sterilizers have a negative impact on filter feeders in the tank. So let's start the debate.

Jim

iamjosh

Interesting good info I think for now I don't need one. What's everyone's thoughts on them? Use, not use?

-josh

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Personally I wouldnt run a tank with out one. You do sacrifice an ammount of fiter feeder food, but you also kill alot of potencialy deadly critters to. so it boils down to which evil you want to live with.

Mike

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
I recently added one and have not yet seen a difference. However, I wasn't having problems before and I'm not having them now. The fact that I haven't seen a difference doesn't really mean anything. I have done a lot of reading on them and when I got the chance to buy a used one, I was thrilled.

If I were on budgetary constraints I would recommend getting the best protein skimmer you can afford and then saving up for a UV unit later rather than buying a so-so protein skimmer and a so-so UV Sterilizer.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.