Quantcast

Wanting to go to Refractometers 101 Class.

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I am asked to buy a refractometer for our group. I would like to find a decent refractometer that is temp compensating? Is it worth it to buy the temp compensating refractometer? I need to buy one today for our local club meeting on Friday.

Thanks in Advance
Ed:)

mattseattle

I think they all are pretty much temp. compensating now. I just looked on Premium Aquatics website and could not find one that doesn't have ATC (automatic temperature compensation). They range in price from 42.00 and up. So yeah definitely buy an ATC one but it would probably take effort to find one that does not have it.

mattseattle

good deal. did you get calibration solution as well? or does it come with it? it's not a requirement but it's nice to have.

NaH2O

Cool purchase, Ed. I purchased the other refractometer Premium Aquatics sells. Post how well you like it.

mattseattle

yeah you use distilled water to calibrate it to 0 but the calibration liquid itself has something in it. because the solution i bought calibrates the refractometer to 1.026 but guess that is more reference solution than calibration solution.

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
Matt, Nikki, and Debacle,

Thanks, I did the temp compensating unit. I will use Distilled water to zero it. I will tell you Nikki what group and I think of it. This forum saved me a lot of time. Matt, you gave me a real good pointer where to find it. I checked places I have bought stuff before. That looked like the best deal.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.