Quantcast

water changes

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

tommy

Hello all I have just setup my first salt water aquarium and i was wondering if anyone could tell me when I am supposed to do my first water change. I am using waterlife bio-mature to start it off and the nitrite readings are still very high. Thanks for any advice.

Solov

Ez reefer
Don't put any critters in there until it stabilizes. Other than that - just let bacteria do its thing.

High nitrates is actually good thing :). That way you can easily tell when there's enough bacteria at least for empty tank, so you can SLOWLY add other life forms to it.

What's in your tank now?

P.S. And Welcome to Reef Frontiers!

tommy

hello jks1 i dont have anything in the tank yet as i am using bio-mature to mature the filtration

Solov

Ez reefer
Wait... what do you mean by "filtration"?

The type of "filtration" you will use highly depends on what you're going to keep in this tank. If you EVER going to turn this tank to a reef (and believe me you will :) ) than it's better off starting without any filtration other than Live Rock and skimmer later on. Thus if you have some bio-filter - either remove it completely or in case of bio-wheel remove media and wheel and use it just for water movement (and on ocasions you can use it to throw in carbon to clarify the water, but for a short period).

If you're 100% sure that you're going to make this tank Fish Only (no corals that is). Than you can use some bio filters (bio-wheel for example etc).

So, tell exactly what do you have in your tank and how much :)?
I.e. do you have Sand?
Do you have Live Rock?
Other rock?
Plants (throw plastic away immediately :) )?
etc.

Also give us more details about your tank - size, how many powerheads you have in it, what kind of heater(power), what type (wattage) of lighting - the more details you give the better answer you'll get.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts