• Every 2 Months

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • What's a Water Change?

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

NaH2O

How often do you perform water changes? Do you also blow off the live rock? If you maintain a SB, do you also stir it up? Do you think water changes are beneficial to your system?

sarah

Hi nikki, i do not do water changes i blast my rock and i stir up the sand bed i let my filters and skimmer do the work, when that is done i change the filters out, and top up with RO water and keep testing the water once a week.
Sarah xxx

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
I have yet to do a water change after 6 months. My levels are always good. I think about doing it every once in a while.. does that count?? ;)

I evaporate about 1 gallon every two days and mix in Kalk and occasional Iodine with the top off.

Darrell

i do wter changes once a month 10%
and i dont stir the sand bed should i stir it up it seems to have bubbles in the bed against the glass i can see
Darrell

Stircrazy

I do once a month water changes of aprox 15 to 20%, I blow the rocks off weekly and I let the snails stir up the sand bed.

Steve

MtnDewMan

I do a 10 gallon water change about once every couple of months. I turkey baster the rock and barebottom about once every week or two to get stuff into the water column and down into my sump.

S

SaltH2O_novice

I have a 100 gallon set up that basically exept for the fish and salt, everything was given to me, tank, filters, live rock etc. I built the base for $30. I will post pics once it is really esablished. I do a 5-7gal change about once a month. My tiny starfish that came on the live rock, the scooter blenny and coral banded shrimp seem to keep the tank clean.

fishermann

i do a 5gal on each tank once a week,vac the live rock with a 3/8 hose and blow it off once a month. i don't use a calc. reactor so i figure i don,t get the bennefit of the trace elements they give you so a small weekly water change seems to really perk everything up.

The R/C Man

I usually do 5 gals every 5-6 weeks. I am wondering about the people that don't do changes for months on end. How do you maintain trace elements? Do you add suppliments?

kevinpo

Expert
I do a 150 gal RO/DI water change every month. I do not blast or stir :) I evaporate 12 gals a day which is replaced by kalkwasser. My sand is clean and white and most of my liverock no longer shows as the corals have covered it. My tank will be 3 years old on June 13th.

Regards,
Kevin

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
I change 5 or 10 gallons weekly, depending on how motivated I am. I see no better, or cheaper way to replace trace elements that may (or may not be) being used up by the tank. I find this easier than purchasing and adding things separately.

When I change 10 gallons I flush my sump. I have a spray bar in the sump which I divert all tank flow into which creates a milky storm of detritus, and almost all of that water is removed.

lovesalt

zoanthid
I do a 10 gallon water change once a month, I do not stir the sandbed, I have a horseshoe crab, and various snails and conchs for that.

I do not blast the LR, but most of it has corals all over it.

So far it is doing well, the tank is 3 yrs old now.

alde

I change 20 gallons about every 5 or 6 weeks in my 120. Things really do look better after a water change and it makes me feel better too. I don't stir the sand and don't need to. My snails and a couple of my fish stir it plenty.

All this reminds me, I better start making some RO so I can do a WC this weekend.

Maldivan

Hey All!,
I'm new to the site and new to the Marine tank hobby although i've had many FW aquariums in the past. I decided to step up and play with the big-boys ! Hehe anyways I have a 55 Gal up and running for 4 months and do a 4 Gal a week water change to replace the trace elements that my LR and coral frags need ( atleast this is what Ive read ). It seems to be doing good so far . I have 2 Bumblebee snails and 2 Nassarius ( Spelling? ) snails that sift through my 4" dsb so I dont Stir the sand.

ScottT1980

I do 5 gallons every week on my 55 gallon. I feel it is almost neccesary to offset the amount of nutrients that I dump into my tank on a weekly basis. This combination has given me the best results as far as coral growth is concerned...

Take er easy
Scott T.

domino

I do a 10 gal. change app. every 3 weeks. I love doing it but then again I am just about 3 months into this. I'm sure the novelty will wear off.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts