Quantcast

Water flow

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

DonW

R.I.P.
My 43 hex returns water from the sump at about 250gph. I have one cheap power head 125gph. This was fine for fish only. Should I buy a bigger return pump or just powerheads? If I feed brine there is always some left on the sand bed that the crab gets. I thought excess food on sand bed meant my flow was to low.

Don

Doug1

It means you are feeding too much :)
Actually for a hex you may need a few more PHs pointing in random directions to get better water flow. What animals do you have in there now?

DonW

R.I.P.
animals

Just 3 damsels, 2 hermits, 2 snails and one sally light foot.
I'll be adding corals when the tanks ready. I just want all the equiptment in place when the time comes.

Don

DonW

R.I.P.
snails

I'm sure I could use more. My huge algae bloom is just now starting to die down. I cut back MH light to 8hrs. The local store I use is Aquarium Paradise and they are just getting relocated. No snails at the present. I am now in the process of getting the "aquascape going up" . Being a hex and deep its kind of a pain to get the right ratio of rock and water. Do you know if adding rock to the sump would create the same biological effect.

Thanks
Don

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
Hey DonW,

I would say if definately does. Many people put both a DSB and LR in their sump to achieve additional biological filtration.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.