Quantcast

Water Movement In A Reef Tank

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

idgy

OK, You guys have been a great help to me on other topics. Now I have a question on water movement and spray bars.

I need to know the best way to put water movement in my tank as well as using water movement with a spray bar etc.

Any thoughts are much appreicated!

lizardarm

Reptilian Disco Biscuit
between a rock and a hard place: (Bremerton, WA)
well, that's kind of a tough one.
first off, it depends heavily on what you are planning on doing with your tank.
that's what most of the people here are going to want to know right off the bat.
a lot of people seem to be using wavemakers that periodically shift power to different powerheads or pumps in your tank. i have heard that these tend to really cut short the lifespan of the pumps though. SCWDs seem to work well, but they cut down your flow, so you may need to get a larger pump than you were thinking if you use it in your return line. powerheads scare me, anemones can't seem to stay away from them.
probably the best use for a spraybar is on a seperate loop.
i'm sure plenty of people will chime in on this one.

gobie

dave the gobie
one way you can really move water is to place a power head at the bottem of your tank twist it so it sits sideways to the bottem and turn exit nozzel so it points to the top of tank. this creates waves and varing currents

NaH2O

idgy - when you say water movement, are you talking about a random/wave effect? Sea Swirls are another option when talking about changing up the flow. With regards to the spray bar - depending on your set-up, you could incorporate it on its own loop, like lizardarm said. If you tank is bare bottom, then this would aid in keeping detritus from collecting there.

Angelscrx

Import Fish
I have pretty much all of the above. I have two PHs in my tank plus a SCWD from my return pump hooked up to two small spray bars. I know I can use a bigger pump on the return due to the reason mentioned above. But what really needs to be considered is what do you want to keep in your tank? All stonies or all softies or a mix? All of these options can require different flow.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts