Quantcast

Water Softner with RO/DI?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

NaH2O

A quick question, since I'm uncertain as to how a water softner works. Does having a water softner effect the production of RO/DI at all? Would it make the RO/DI unit work harder, easier, or have no effect (with the membranes and filters)? I have horrible water, so a softner is necessary. I would think it's easier on the RO/DI unit/membranes/filters/cartridges, but I am not sure.

MikeS

The water softener will increase your RO/DI filter membrane lifespan by removing lots of crud before it ever reaches the filter unit, especially if you live in an area with hard water. the only possible negative is a drop in daily production by the unit due to decreased pressure going into it.

MikeS

NaH2O

Thanks, Mike. Makes sense....I never really thought about it before. Now I'm really glad I have one (water softener).

MikeS

No problem Nikki.... :)

Our municipal water where I live is extremely hard, and tears up RO/DI membranes pretty quick...a water softener definately adds to the life of it...about triple in our case as compared to without it...

Mike

Boomer

RF Staff
A water softener is a DI kinda. It removes mostly what makes up hard water i.e., Ca and Mg and usually leaves behind Na. Yes, it will expand the life of he RO/DI

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts