Quantcast

Water topoff, skimmer ?'s

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Forestal

Hello all, question i have now that i finally have a decent skimmer on my 60 gallon hex. I am pulling out about 2 gallons a week of skimmate :razz:

my ? is do i replace this with salt water or as part of freshwater topoff...i was just adding 1/2 to 2/3 gallon FW topoff per week as part of my weekly water changes, but will be putting in a float switch for FW topoff, and don't want to throw off the SG with it. My guess is i need to figure out how much of each i am losing and split the difference and use this for the top off SG.
thanks

dnjan

alveopora
I would say that if you are pulling two gallons of skimmate out per week, you have your skimmer set too wet. How dark is the skimmate? If you have 2 gallons of skimmate darker than green tea from a 60-gal tank, your tank water must have a tint to it! :)

Skimmate is saltwater, and should be replaced with saltwater.

Forestal

I have adjusted the skimmer so there is barely some bubbles coming out, but over a week, not quite 2 gallons...but it isn't that dark, so perhaps i should turn it down to drier/more concentrate...my tank water is perfectly clear.

thanks don

dnjan

alveopora
I am not familiar with your skimmer. Is it a venturi-type? Becket-type?

If the air is affected by water flow rate, perhaps you need a gate valve between the pump and the skimmer.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts