Quantcast

Wave2K, any opinions?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Mushroom Boy

Anybody out there running a Wave2K on their system? If so, any input, complaints, compliments about them? I'm considering getting one for my tank... Thanks!

Grouperdog

I looked into getting one a couple of months ago and did a fair amount of research and talked to the owner of Wave2K a couple of times. Apparently there are some issues that have come up mostly involving the belt that is used. The original belt can be tricky to set up and can break if not tensioned correctly. They then came out with an alternative belt that will not break and is easier to set up but can create a noise issue. So you get both belts when you buy it and you use the one that works best for your Wave2K. That was going back a couple of months so he might have a third version out that works better then the previous two. With that said you will find some people who got theres working and are happy with it. I think the idea of it makes a lot of sence and it does create some very random currents. I decided to wait until the belt issue got figured out and also at the time there was not anyone local who was using it and I really wanted to see one in action first. Hopefully someone will reply back to this thread who has one locally and we can go take a look at it.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
hey paul Eric B did a review of one when they first came out, but keep in mind what scott said.
http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=211954#post211954

Mike

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
I personly wouldn't want that thing sitting in my tank and the construction doesn't seem the best as of yet. The Borneman article was intersting and seems to give them a polite thumbs down.

-Erik

Mushroom Boy

My main reason for looking into these was to minimize power consumption in my tank. I just found out from the manufacturer that they draw 1.3 amps ~150 watts. I guess I was under the impression that they only took about 15 watts. I don't remember where I heard that, but that's what I thought it was. I think for 150 watts, I'll stick with my Amp Master 3000. Although, I DO like the idea of the wave2k...

Thanks for all the input...

Grouperdog

You might have mixed it up with the Tunze Turbelle Stream Pumps that use only 15 watts, which as we all now is one of the best water movement systems for creating high random water currents in our reef tanks.

Grouperdog

This is true they are not cheap but when compared to the alternatives, in the long run they provide a very unique low operating cost water movement system. You cannot compare them to any other powerhead out there due to there high flow rates and random currents created. A closed circuit with seaswirls you can argue provides the high current and water movement but by the time you have purchased a high flow external pump and sea swirl you are not much cheaper then a Tunze, and are using a lot more power.

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
Agreed: Right now my plumbing design calls for a closed loop, but I am really considering Tunze's. The cost of the pump, a scwd, some pvc and drilling three holes almost makes it worth paying for thr Tunze system. And yes, in the long run power cosumption may offset the cost difference between the pump and the Tunze setup. Not to mention the tunze flow would be superior to a predictable flow two sided loop on a SCWD. Anyone know of any good deal on Tunze controler and two heads/pumps?

-Erik

Mushroom Boy

Scott, I think you're right, that must have been the Tunzes I was thinking about. Time to investigate those as an option :D.

Grouperdog

I think that you should definately take a look at them, I was all set to use them after learning about there unique flow pattern and features but then I got to see one in person and realized that they were just to big for my 75. That is a personal judgement call and you might find there size not to be an issue. They have recently come out with a fake rock that you can put them in so you now have an alternative if you do not want them out in the open but you still need room for the fake rock which I unfortunately do not have. There are a few people who have them locally so I would highly reccommend going and taking a look at one.

Macbeth417

Reef Monkey
Have you guys seen that fake rock. They are charging $70 for it. That is a joke. For that price just make your own.

What size is your tank Mushroomboy?

For my 110gal I would use two Turbelle ® Stream 6000 and a multi controler and If that didn't cost $660 I would do it in a second.
6000-
Output:1850 gal/h
Pump wattage: 15 W

You could use two Turbelle ® Stream 6060 and a no name wave make...
The 6060 run $125 and you could get a simple power strip wave maker like a Natural Wave for $50 or so. That brings cost down to $300.
6060-
Output:1600 gal/h
Pump wattage: 11 W
Not controlable by Tunzy system.

What do you guys think of Ocean Currents Oscillator's (less expensive replacement for seaswirl????) Im thinking two of those at $55 with fan nozzles and a 1500 gph pump would only run you $230.

Sorry to jump in on your thread Mushroomboy, it is just that I am preparing to do my plumbing and if I can set it up a better way or without drilling as many holes that would be great.

-Erik

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts