Quantcast

What animal is this?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

nanome

Hi all,

I have seen these critters on my live rock, and now they are all over my new orange sponge. They are of various sizes, ranging from smaller a rice to nearly 3/8 inch long. Each critter has 6 side legs near its rear, allowing it to turn around 360 degree at the same spot (see pics.) At first I thought they are copepods, but they seem too big to be copepods (i really don't know how big copepods suppose to get). (There are a bunch of other very small critters, about the size of a grain of sand. I assume they are children of the bigger ones.)

Are these critters dangerous. I cannot yet tell whether the orange sponge is being eating up, but these critters craw everywhere on that sponge. If they are dangerous, how can i remove them? Would mandarin gobie eat them. As said, some of these are rather big (3/8 inch).

Thanks

Oscapus

Yes, great job with the photos. If my seahorses saw those they would break into a gallop. Amphipods illicit an amazing feeding response from my seahorses, Anthias, and others. I find them all the time while changing my filter sock. That is how I get off my lazy duff and clean the tank, by looking forward to the frenzy afterwards!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts