What did we learn?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Katchupoy

Hello to all, Do you think we can compare notes?

For those of you who attended the meeting of Anthony Calfo's, Can you share what you learned at the meeting for those people who were not able attend.

I'll start.

1) He said that ACTINIC LIGHT is aesthetics use only and doesnt have any impact on the corals at all.

2) He also do not believe on those 400 watter MH's. He thinks it's too much specially for a small tank like a 30g. But he mentioned that before buying your bulb, you have to know what corals you want and what kind of lighting it needs.

3) He mentioned that he has a reef tank that uses shop lights for some time a long time ago. And he believes that you only need to supply some sort of flash or bright light for a short period of time just enough to trigger something on the corals for it to react... and then supply it with whatever light you have other than metal halide. (Mojoreef already explained this... on a diff thread.)

4) That you need to know the grouping of your corals so that you can minimize the stress when fighting occurs.

Ex: Deep corals are not suppose to go with shallow corals on the same tank. He also doesnt believe in "MIXED REEF TANK" where you can see softies with hard and with acros.

Hmmm.... what else....

please feel free to add....

jazznreef

Cesar... please expand on the lighting point you make above. Unfortunately, I was painting our living and dining room. Was on a roll so decided it was more important to keep going. Please explain more. Thanks.,

jasontatro

Wiseguy
I was surprised to hear his thoughts on lighting. It flies in the face of everything I have ever heard or read.

Interestingly though, over on wetwebmedia.com Bob Fenner seems to contradict alot of what Anthony says, almost encouraging MH's on smallish systems.

I also did not really understand that "shocking" concept. Perhaps Mike, or someone else could expand on that.

jasontatro

Wiseguy
Well..... according to Anthony, it can be accomplished with NO flourescents. He argues against the use of halides in most tanks that are shallower than 30".

NaH2O

Thanks for sharing those points. The lighting thread is a good one to understand the biology of how the corals utilize light.

Now, what is normal lighting? thats the question that needs to be defined.
Good question to post on the lighting thread. Since Anthony spoke about lighting, maybe there will be more questions for the thread. Mike better get his thinking cap on.....

MtnDewMan

jasontatro said:
He argues against the use of halides in most tanks that are shallower than 30".
I believe he was talking about any tank that was less than 30" are not good candidates for 400W Metal Halides. He didn't say halides in general on those tanks. He didn't seem to be an advocate much at all of the 400W variety.

fishermann

you are rite chuck,he said 400w was not needed on any tank less than 30" in hgt. and that he uses 175s on most of his tanks instead of 250,s. My understanding was that he uses MH but that it was not a nesassaty if you were being frugal financialy.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Ok we need to take this into a bit of perspectve here. thier is a big difference in just growing coral and havig the coral look good. Also it totally depends on the type of corals.

Mike

mattseattle

1) He said that ACTINIC LIGHT is aesthetics use only and doesnt have any impact on the corals at all.

I think what he said regarding this was that if Actinic lighting was mounted above 3" off the tank then it was doing no good for growth/etc.

jasontatro

Wiseguy
Ahhhhh..... thanks for clarifying. After hearing him speak and reading some of the stuff on WWM.com, I was beginning to question my decision to go with halides.

mattseattle

well my VHO's are mounted about 6 inches off the tank right now. Unfortunately with my configuration I can not lower them so guess they'll just be for my 'eyes only' and the halides will have to do the work! :)

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
hey

Actinics can give you growth, just not very much and only certain things. For the most part is more of a astetic lighting.

Mike