What happens after the power goes on?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

cookiemn

Chicago bound!!!
I am planning to add a sump to my tank. I pretty much know the scenario for when the power goes out. The overflow still sends water down the pipe to the sump and the sump's water level rises. When the power comes back on, the pump starts pumping the water from the sump to the tank and the water level in the sump goes down. What about the siphon in the overflow? That doesnt start up again and the sump still continues to pump water. What do must people do to resolve this? I heard that the CPR has a lift pump that can automatically start the siphon, but what about the people who use a U tube to create the siphon?

jazznreef

if the overflow and return is the height of the tank then it wont overflow. it will only drain as much as the overlow and return is high. otherwise, if they are below "water level" then you will have to build in a siphon break. There are many ways to do this. You should be able to research this more on this site or reefcentral or someone will explain it. maybe i will tomorrow aftter some sleep.

DonW

R.I.P.
When the power comes on your "J" tubes will start flowing on their own. Both end remain under water so the siphon remains. Starting the initial syphon is a bit of a pain. If you drill a small hole in the top of the "J" tube and install a airline check valve,you only need to suck on the valve to get it started. You only need to do this once or if you take apart to clean.

Don

Latest posts