Quantcast

What micron filter bag do you recommend

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

reedman

I want to use this when vacuuming my sand and let the water pass through the bag back into the system. This should allow me to trap most of the detritus in the micron filter.

The question is which micron filter is best for this (i.e. 25, 50, 100, 200, 800??)

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
-Reed

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
When siphoning sand I use a 1 micron felt bag filter. For normal running, I use 50 micron nylon bags which I clean twice per week.

This is how much detritus and bacterial floc a 1 micron bag collects when tax season hits and you don't do your normal maintenance for 4 months. YIKES!!! I got mine from Inland Aquatics. Aquatic Ecosystems sells them too.

NaH2O

I used a 1 micron when I brought the water from the temporary curing tank up to my main tank. It worked well. I will probably use the one micron for my vacuuming. I'm just about to order several 5 micron filter socks to run on the tank. I'll swap them out as they get dirty. (Thanks for reminding me to order my filter socks!!) :D

big t

tankless
Ok Thanks scooter, now next q. What is the best way to clean a dirty nasty stinky sock? I know my wife wouldn't want me just chucking it into the laundry :D

Scooterman

Administrator
I take it to the garden hose on a fine mist & reverse the sock inside out rinse, Let it hang dry, might not be the best way.
I also soaked one in bleach after rinsing a while, then rinsed it again really well and drip dried. Rinse in Ro/DI water before inserting back into the tank.

NaH2O

Blast with a hose and stick it in the washer. I don't mind this stuff going in the washer - I've seen some pretty nasty stuff get chucked in there (i.e. child...that's all I need to say) - a fishy filter sock is far from gross :D

big t

tankless
Hey good thread you just drained my wallet even more! If you are a diy'er that site Scooterman posted also has the coveted 'uniseal' type fitting. So killed 2 birds.

Scooterman

Administrator
Obviously!
Hey I'm only getting married for the first time in two weeks lol!
I managed to stay single the past 37 years, then I slipped up!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.