Quantcast

What would you do different?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

NaH2O

Hey everyone! I love learning from other's mistakes, so I thought this would be a great way to do that. What have you done in or with your systems that you say, "Gosh, I'll never do that again!". Is there something that sticks out and you want to make sure no one replicates that same mistake?

I'll share one - 3 words: Green Brittle Star.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
On my current tank I wouldnt have put the thin layer of CC down originally, I should have left it BB. the cc lasted almost a year before it was cooked with P , but it was a real bear getting it back out. Tht and I should have gone retro kits for the lighing instead of going with the pendants.

MIke

MtnDewMan

I would not have put any CC in at all either. I would put holes all around the spray bar to keep dead spots cleared in the back.

Oh, I wouldn't have put a DSB in at all a few years back too :rolleyes:

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
I would have never listened to the fish store lady telling me saltwater tanks are only initially expensive and easy to maintain... Not her fault.. she didn't know my obsessive compulsive hobbyist nature... I won't stop til I understand, have and know it ALL!!!

That said: 2K later and 1/2 way through my 280gal inwall plans I wish I went big the first time 6 months ago and also NEVER used tap water! The brown stuff is icky :)

reedman

DSB
Glass tank
dose kalk as topoff with a powerhead (DUH!!)
Ampmaster 3K (Great pump when it works. Some have great luck with them...I don't).
Powerheads in the tank (not anymore :))
Shoulda got a PH meter rather than a test kit...I would have checked it more often.

I know there are others, but you live and learn.

Great thread!

NaH2O

LOL, cookiemn!! - that would be a lot cheaper! Even if you rebuild them from everything stock!! LOL!

mattseattle

i'm not sure what i'd do different. i'd definitely like a much larger tank but i'm happy with my current 60 gallon. i am definitely glad i went with metal halides to start off with instead of fumbling with other lights.

i think the only thing i would've done differently is probably shopped around for live rock. i bought here and there at local fish stores and bought what they had in stock and i'm not entirely happy with my rock selection now but i don't want to rip the tank apart and redo it.

cookiemn

Chicago bound!!!
I know of something different, I would dip all my new LR in a carbonated water solution to make sure that I don't get any more mantis shrimp! I had two in my last batch that devestated my livestock and cracked my 65.

szidls

Gaitor Wrestler
I never should have driven to Portland .........err almost Tillamuk to buy a used sump. Without checking at least 20 times that my skimmer would fit inside. And of course buying it anyway thinking that it would. DOH! I'm sure there must be a quiet hospital I can check into. Hey Mojo why the retro instead of pendents? Just trying to avoid another small disaster. LOL.........Scott

Salsaking

Salsa soon in Safeway!!
Should have learned more patience, and maybe a little more patience, and maybe just possibly a little more patience.:razz:

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
Scott the pendants took up to much room, they didnt have a quality reflector in them and I was aving a hard time blending the different colored bulbs. with the retro kits I could put more light up, good reflector and also could manipulate the reflector to make the blending better.

Good post eric, hehehe

Mike

big t

tankless
I would have started w/ rodi. The thing that I definately regret the most is not doing a fresh water dip on all new arrivals. I have Flat Worms now. I have the FW exit, but am too scared to use it. I am upgrading soon to a 90, once I get my stand build and all the new pumps. I am going to soak everything in fw exit water on its way into the new system, and fingers crossed will be free of them. The other terrible pest that I have is those dang zoa eating nudi's. I suck those stupid things out all the time. I am hoping that the fw exit gets rid of those 2 on the way over. Other then that I don't have any real regrets.

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
Let's see.

Trusting others instead of doing my own research.

Building an Equipment Graveyard. (You research products and then find out what you need. The you find an item that costs 20% less so you buy it. After 3 months, you realize you wasted a lot of money so you buy what you should have bought in the first place. Now you have actually spent 80% more).

Relying on products to fix something. I'm all for preventing problems now instead of fixing problems.

Witfull

personally, i wouldnt change a thing, from every mistake i learned, and in 20+ yrs i have learned alot...lol! no, wait....there is one thing i would like to redo undo....i would have been more carefull cleaning a tank full of 6"-8" Volitan Lions!! one thing i can say....Ouch,,,call poison control!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.