Quantcast

What's in your overflow?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

szidls

Gaitor Wrestler
Durso or Stockman or???:confused:
Trying to decide which way to go with stand pipes for my 150 gal sps tank. I have a large center overflow. The return pump is rated just under 1000 gal/hr @5' Also on sizing. Is it better to run 2 smaller diameter pipes and split the volume of water between them, or 2 pipes where either one could handle the total volume?I'm trying to decide how much the noise factor is with partially filled return pipes? Thanks...........Scott

G~

Super Gobie
i have durso in all of mine. why, because it was easier to fabricate with what i had on hand. have never tried a Stockman. the durso have worked fine for me. it helps to go up a pipe size though. use a 1-1/4" durso on a 1" drain.

G~

DonW

R.I.P.
I got rid of all my noise by adding a adapter fron 1" to 1 1/2 just on top of the pipe. I did heat it and roll the edges down and out a little, like a funnel.

Don

DonW

R.I.P.
No, but it was pretty darn ugly but it worked. Since I just got my new tank up and running, I learned that proper pump/overflow ratio is the real key to getting rid of noise. Keeping it to a simple straight pipe and getting the water over the stand pipe 3/4" made for a silent running overflow, any less was noisy. Not enough water you get noise caused by air and to much water and you get a flood.

Don

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.