What's Under Your Sump?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Mushroom Boy

What do you all put under your sump? What have you found works best for deadening possible noise associated with vibration. Anything you would avoid?

I'm thinking either cork board, or a series of those foam knee pads (used for gardening) would be good choices.

Gordo

The edges have gotten wet before, but I've never had a major spill. I'm guess when (not if) that happens I'll pull everything out and dry it out. I'd probably do that regardless of what the sump was on though.

Gordo

I never thought about it much. What woul be the benifit of closed cell in the event of a accident? I'm not up on my foam technology. :)

Scooterman

Administrator
lol well somehow I always seem to have a ton of water splashing down there, maybe I'm doing something way wrong here!

Scooterman

Administrator
Actually I was thinking of making a lining for the sump tank, something the would hold the water from my living room floor etc. maybe a Rubbermaid tub, low profile or fiberglass before installation or something of that sorts

fishermann

gordo closed cell foam doesn't absorb water, open cell does something like a sponge. the knee pads paul mentioned are made from closed cell foam usally.

dnjan

alveopora
Paul - don't you have an old "ensolite" camping pad from your younger days? (it is probably in that pile of camping gear your wife wants to throw out but you keep on saving) Old ensolite pads (closed-cell foam) make great sound-deadening pads.

Mushroom Boy

As a matter of fact, I do have one of those pads just gathering dust. Hmmmmmm..... :D. Thanks for all the input folks. How does cork do with water absorption?

dnjan

alveopora
Cut up the ensolite, Paul. That way you will need to buy one of those thick Thermarest pads the next time you go camping with the kids.

By the way - need any more help for the move this Saturday? I am free after about 1:00, and would be glad to come over to help.

fishermann

paul i think cork is okay, heck they cork wine with it and i've never been able to suck any for free out of the bottles in the store he-he, may not deaden as good as the other pad though, most cork is pretty firm

dnjan

alveopora
Cork may swell when it gets wet. Meaning that a spill in your cabinet could cause the cork on the edge to swell more than the dry cork under the middle of the sump. The swelling would cause uneven support.

Uneven support = leaking acrylic sump.

Leaking acrylic sump * hardwood floor * wife = ????

Mushroom Boy

they cork wine with it and i've never been able to suck any for free out of the bottles in the store
Man, I thought I was the only one who's ever tried that :lol:

Wet hard wood = :mad: wife

I think I'm going to give the ensolite a whirl...

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.