Quantcast

where does it all go

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

watermom

undefinedWell I am still new to saltwater tanks and the problem I am having is "seeing" where equipment is positioned. The store I use locally, there is only one, has large self-made tanks; the books I have bought might show what the filter or whatever looks like, but nothing I have shows a set up tank with the equipment pictured. It is usually hid by the rock and such I am guessing. My tank is 55 gal and I want to buy a new one. I have never been happy with the look of my tank now.

watermom

So what reference do you have as to how to place equipment? Maybe I don't have my rock stacked right. And the pictures I see of the rock, it is a lot more colorful than what I can buy here.

Curtswearing

Mantisfreak
Your rock will naturally color up over time as coralline algae grows on it. It's just a waiting game.

As far as the other equipment placement, I would put your heater where there is good circulation of water. If you have an in-tank skimmer, try to have it collect from the surface of the water if possible. If this isn't possible, you will need to experiment with powerhead placement. You will want either a skimmer, power-filter, or powerhead to keep the water at the surface of the tank agitated so you don't get a build-up of protein and other wastes collecting there. (This reduces gas-exchange which can cause a reduction in dissolved Oxygen). As far as a second powerhead would be concerned, you will want it to move water in other parts of the tank. The key is to not have "dead" areas of water flow.

You might want to list out all of your equipment, so we can give you better ideas.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.