Quantcast

Where to buy ammonia?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Llarian

Ok, so this isn't really a reef question. I'm setting up a smallish FW tank for my girlfriend in a couple weeks and would like to do a fishless cycle on it.

Anybody have any idea where to get pure ammonia for that? I didn't see any at a couple larger FW LFS around.

-Dylan

gehidore

wik, pioneerwest madman
Llarian said:
Ok, so this isn't really a reef question. I'm setting up a smallish FW tank for my girlfriend in a couple weeks and would like to do a fishless cycle on it.

Anybody have any idea where to get pure ammonia for that? I didn't see any at a couple larger FW LFS around.

-Dylan
Safeway?

Any janitorial suply store.

Llarian

Ok, I'll check those out. I was under the impression most ammonias for cleaning have things added to them that're bad for aquariums. Guess I should look first though. :p

-Dylan

LakeEd

Achilles
Llarian said:
Ok, I'll check those out. I was under the impression most ammonias for cleaning have things added to them that're bad for aquariums. Guess I should look first though. :p

-Dylan

Ummmm... YUP! They have "Ammonia" in them, and we don't want that in our tanks! *Evil Grin*

Llarian

HAHAHAHA! Yeah, well, gotta feed those bacteria something. =)

And yeah, I could use the shrimp and/or feeding method. I was just hoping to get the initial cycle going semi-rapidly, since I suspect once I get the equipment setup my girlfriend will be anxious to get fish in it. (I'd never reccomend a reef to her. heh)

-Dylan

jesshimom

I have no fish.
Marineland makes an additive in the past couple years that you add when you set up and can add fish instantly. I forget what it's called but you get in in the refridgerator at the fish store. We have used it twice and never lost a fish and dumped them all in at once. It's a live bacteria product.... An 8 yr old the day after CHristmas really knows no patience.... :)

Desolas

Free Jolly Jenkins.
I know Albertsons sells straight ammonia as "ammonia cleanser" it's only ingredient is ammonia. (it says on the back what's in it.) It was about $3 for I think a quart container. I'd just buy that as it lasts forever. I just bought some more and the first quart I bought lasted about 3 years, and I was using it as my primary glass cleaner too.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts