Quantcast

Which EuroReef??

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
I like the feedback I've read about EuroReef skimmers. I am trying to upgrade my ES5-3 for a larger capacity model. There are so many different models that I would rather get opinions from reefers on which ones are effecient and well-liked. I would like for it to be rated for around 200 gallons as someday I want to upgrade to a 180gallon. I really appreciate any input I'm given! Thanks! :)

szidls

Gaitor Wrestler
Becky I think you would need at least a euroreef 8-3. cs or es depending on the budget. I know many reefers run the biggest you have room for. I have an es8-2 for my 150 gal & 30 gal sump. The 8-2 is 24" tall and the 8-3 is 30" tall I believe. Make sure there is room in the cabinet for height unless your sump will be somewhere else. Here is a link to get euroreef size & footprint info.
http://www.h2otropicals.com./
I'm sure others will add more info. Glad you are keeping your system!:cool:
Take Care, Scott

NaH2O

I have the CS8-3 for my system (120 gallon + ~30 gallon sump + ~12 gallon fuge). Scott is correct - it is 30" in height. I almost went for the 8-4 (for upgrading purposes), but I wouldn't have had any room for it under the stand.

Jeff

I was limited by a low stand height to the 8-2. I upgraded it to the sedra 9000 pump and it seems to work very well on a almost 300g water volume tank. When I cured my rock it pulled out just over 5gallons of dark skimate in 24hrs. I dont feed every day and I can see the skimmer pulling more out all day long when I feed and only a tiny amount on days I don't.

szidls

Gaitor Wrestler
Becky,
Be sure to check the "footprint" of the model you are looking at. This is the rectangular dimention of space needed to fit into your sump. Euroreef has many different diameters and heights of reaction chambers to fit your application. Some models start to use mutiple pumps to increase skimmer performance. This increases the physical size of the skimmer footprint. I hope I havn't confused ya. Take your time to read the H20 tropicals charts for Euroreef skimmers. You should find the right one.
Scott:)

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
I'm thinking of going with either the CS8-1 or 2. Can't make up my mind. Although I was thinking about upgrading to a Sedra 9000 or 12000 for increased waterflow into the reaction chamber. Would that be a good move??? Thanks for all of the help!

Jeff

I wouldn't use a 9000 on the 8-1, its just too short for the flow. My 8-2 just stops the bubbles from coming out of the adjuster tube and thats because I keep the riser tube high.

DonW

R.I.P.
Beckmola24 said:
I'm thinking of going with either the CS8-1 or 2. Can't make up my mind. Although I was thinking about upgrading to a Sedra 9000 or 12000 for increased waterflow into the reaction chamber. Would that be a good move??? Thanks for all of the help!
If you pump the water to fast you just loose dwell time lowering performance. If you pump in more than the skimmer can flow, your in trouble when the venturi plugs with salt. You can add a recirc pump to increase overal performance but that will increase the footprint. You'll really be suprised at how little water flows through the euro skimmer compared to others.

Don

szidls

Gaitor Wrestler
Hey Jeff,

What is the quality of the skimmate with the sedra 9000 on the 8-2? Wet Dry? What is your skimmer water level? Just thinking of possible upgrade.
Thanks, Scott

Jeff

The skimmate is great. I have the riser tube set to the bottom of the collection cup and I get a very dark skimmate, no green at all. I had Euroreef include the 9000 so they also drilled the reaction tube with a pump inlet that was a higher (the 9000 is taller than the 5000). The only 8-2 that I have seen with the 5000 on it was at Blue Seirra, and you can see that my chamber is more packed with white bubbles but there really doesn't seem to be a big difference in flow. When I talked to Jeff at Euroreef I think that he said that the needle wheels only made like 1/3 the water flow rate verses a paddle wheel.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts