Quantcast

why don't people test for Oxygen content anymore?

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
When I first started doing saltwater I was concerned about fish only. I would check my Oxygen level before I bought fish and check it after a day or two of adding fish. I wanted to make sure my tank could adapt to new members. I think this test is overlooked at times. I feel it is important for people to know that when you add a new member your tank has to adapt to changes slowly.

G~

Super Gobie
are you talking O2 levels, or are you talking about ozone? with the amount of water movement that is popular now the O2 levels are already at or slightly above saturation. there is not any real need to test for this anymore.

as for ozone, it has just been to expensive, complicated, and dangerous for the amount of good it does.

G~

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
Hello G,
I am talking about O2 level. I am concerned with people adding fish too fast and killing them because of lack of oxygen.

G~

Super Gobie
as long as you have a decent skimmer and good water surface agitation you will be fine. CO2 and O2 both exchange rapidly.

G~

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I Agree G, I just feel people need to check thier skimmer and agitation from time to time. Their skimmer may not be adjusted properly or it may not be effective enough against bio load or they may not have enough water flow into the tank. I had a supplier tell me yesterday that my return pump from sump only needs to be a couple hundred gallons per hour. A light bulb went off in my head. Water movement is very important!

G~

Super Gobie
a return pump only needs to return as much water as the skimmer processes. any more and the water is just along for the ride.:)

CLS's are a much more efficient way to add flow than a sump.

G~

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.