Quantcast

Why mess with perfection? :)

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
Before moving forward in my sentament I have to say I am currently planning a 280 Gallon in wall tank made by IAP and diving off the calcium, lighting, and flow deep end....

That said... While becoming overjoyed at finding 2 new tube worms, baby snails, wierd pods, and corraline growth I can't help but feel like adding more to my tank, or diving off the calcium, lighting, and flow deep end is pointless... My Live rock and cleanup crew has kept me happy for the past 8 months... When the stress level rises so does the tank study time...

Why must I complicate my reefs melody?

What pushes you over the deep end and into the obyss with your reef??? And have you experienced a heightened level of appreciation and joy with the results??

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
8 months..... Well, we can tell you all about it, but until you've been keeping reefs for years it's a little like trying to describe apple pie to someone who's never tried it.

Why else would people spend tons of cash and even greater amounts of time on their tanks? It's compulsive, it's fun, it's absolutely the most rewarding hobby I've had.

You've obviously had a taste of it when you say "when the stress level rises so does the tank study time." In my job, several times a year when deadlines are looming, the customers are demanding the world, and I'm working 20+ hour days, I still find time to check out the tank before hauling my wasted self into bed. And when the deadlines are not looming, it is almost as wonderful coming home to the reef as it is coming home to the family.

I can honestly say that if I had the opportunity to start a 280 gallon in-wall, I wouldn't think twice. Seriously. I would plan everything to the tiniest detail, ask for advice, shop around for supplies, read every article I could find, and enjoy every minute of it.

The enjoyment you've gotten thus far is only a fraction of what you'd get from the satisfaction of planning, setting up, and enjoying the larger system. Guaranteed.

I simply can't imagine why you wouldn't.

szidls

Gaitor Wrestler
Since my 3 month old 150 gal reef is still a dry, empty box of expensive parts. I'll have to push myself into the abyss with another pitcher of margaritas!:cool:
Time to act like "Nike" and Just Do It! Hopefully soon I'll be heading to reefer utopia.
Scott

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
j.stagner: Time to extend the Home equity Loan :) In a month I'll join szidls in the obyss with Margaritas and empty tanks with a labs worth of equipment that could easily be construed as illegal substance growth tools :) I can see it now....

Police:"Mr. Lehigh... May we have a look in the basement? Your energy usage has quadrupled and the neighbors are complaining about bright blue lighting at odd hrs..."
ME: Sir I'm just a reefer!!!
Police: "A REEFER!!! Come with me son!"
ME: (being dragged away) Hunny please be sure to target feed my Maxima's!! Take the reef outage pager from my pocket!! Oh and let me know if the Clowns start mating!!

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
Rofl, yeah, I can see it too. Tell you what, when I buy a house one of the things I'll be looking for is where to put the large in-wall tank.... If I had the budget, I'd have the greenhouse out in the back yard, too.

As it stands now, I'm trying to figure out how I'd plumb and lay out a common sump so that I can have several tanks in the garage. That will have to work as a substitute until I own a home.

P.S.: I've read that many corals are useful in the manufacture of various drugs (medicines), so you may not be too far off the mark ;)

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
The biggest problem with a 280gallon in wall is it isn't a 3000 gallon in wall ;)

Ya Better call it a Sun room.. Even green houses are suspect these days. :) I recall seeing your sump plans. Very cool!

Hmmm to frag or to mulch and sell to drug vendors...

ANYONE else want to share the reason to their reefing ryhm???

Doug1

"Police:"Mr. Lehigh... May we have a look in the basement? Your energy usage has quadrupled and the neighbors are complaining about bright blue lighting at odd hrs..."
ME: Sir I'm just a reefer!!!
Police: "A REEFER!!! Come with me son!"
ME: (being dragged away) Hunny please be sure to target feed my Maxima's!! Take the reef outage pager from my pocket!! Oh and let me know if the Clowns start mating!!"

Thats way funny :D esp since I live in an area that was once prime weed growing area. When I was in Search and Rescue I met a deputy that had a small reef, he was asking me about MH , seems thy confiscate a lot of them, then sell them at auction. It's amazing how many growers are stupid enuff to buy them with a check :D

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
All I can add is that you folks are very very sick individuals and I have no personal knowledge about anything your talking about. Please try to control your impulses. ;) hehehee

Mike

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
mojoreef said:
All I can add is that you folks are very very sick individuals and I have no personal knowledge about anything your talking about
....sez the man with the thousand gallon reef. Ha!

Just imagine what the neighbors would think when they see you hauling in all that MH lighting, plumbing, lumber, etc. And people are always coming over to visit for a while. Then, mysteriously, a few weeks later it's obvious that your stress level is down and you got a cheesy grin all the time. Most of the guests leave with small bags and a cheesy grin, saying amongst themselves "Man, that is freakin' killer! Check out this frag he gave me! Dude, I gotta get a system like that!"

It's clearly got to be something to do with all that stuff.....

jlehigh

Hermit D Crab
"....sez the man with the thousand gallon reef. Ha!"

Oh so so true!

Gosh these parralels are too obvious... It's a lil scary.. Soon Reef Frontiers will = Reefers Anonymous.

Like always I lead my sentament into the sediment :) Thanks for the laughs all!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.