Quantcast

would like to learn a little more about Harlequin Shrimp or Clown shrimp

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I have thought about getting a few clown shrimp. My concern was is there anthing else that Clown shrimp eat besides star fish? Are they Reef Compatible? I have baby star fish popping up in my tank. I just do not want the shrimp to die.

tankgirl

Hi Ed, As far as I know, harlequins only eat starfish. The baby starfish you have might be asterinas - if so, they never get bigger than around a quarter of an inch. My harlequin eats them and keeps them under control - it's worked out pretty well.

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
Wow, thanks you guys! Chuck, how did the baby shrimp do? Chuck were you able to have a great survival rate with babies? I wondered if the babies needed some special diet like clowns with rotifers.

MtnDewMan

Thanks guys, I loved those Harlequin Shrimp. Unfortunately they did not do well when I made the move to bare bottom. One didn't survive the transition in the tub and the other one I think was pretty lost after I put it in the tank and didn't survive. But I did have the pair for about 2 years.

I tried different ways of feeding. The cheapest was chocolate chip stars that were frozen first and cut off legs at a time for them. They were not the best for the starfish. They tended to degrade water quality the most as well.

I tried freezing Linkia's and doing the same thing, cutting off a leg at a time. Linkia's were better for the water quality.

The best success I had was with buying Linkia's in bulk, I would buy 6 or 8 at a time, I would have them all housed in the refugium, then once a month I would put a whole starfish in the main display. The pair would not take long to find that starfish and manage to manhandle it and take it back to their lair deep behind the rock.

The only time the shrimp bred was when I fed them the live Linkia ... must have been the best diet for them.

Never was able to save rear the babies. I tried snagging some that were in the water but really didn't have the right setup to raise them. So no, none ever survived. But sure was fun to watch the action. The female must have carried at least 8 or 10 clutches of eggs to hatching while I had them.

Hope this helps.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.